Feature Request for LEGO Island Rebuilder

A place to discuss playing and reverse engineering the 1997 video game LEGO Island.
Solaris

Feature Request for LEGO Island Rebuilder

Post by Solaris »

Hi Matt, I just signed up to your forums because I noticed a potential shortfall with the Rebuilder I wanted to bring to your attention, and hopefully I can convince you to update it.

I was trying to enjoy some LEGO Island on my Voodoo2 SLI build with W98SE installation, but of course the turn speed is too high. So I figure I can use your fantastic Rebuilder to simply unhook the turn speed and no other graphics compatability is required since this is period correct hardware. However, I run into one little problem, and that it seems is the method which Rebuilder supports the different Direct3D devices could use a little extra work. For users with 3Dfx Voodoo cards, these are essentially secondary add-in cards which are used alongside another AGP or PCI VGA (primary) card as I am sure you know. The way Windows and games (LEGO Island included) handles this is usually to list the two devices seperately as primary and secondary.

Unfortunately, it seems Rebuilder is not setup to handle the two devices independently as primary and secondary. Even though Rebuilder shows two options for Direct3DHAL, selecting either option still results in the game launching on the primary video card in this case a 256mb 6800 Ultra.

I believe then that extra code may be missing in your Rebuilder which can tell the game to choose primary or secondary D3D. Since the original configuration tool has this functionality, I guessed that it might not be too difficult for you to take a look at the code how it performs that task and please apply it to the Rebuilder also?

I was very excited to test the other features of Rebuilder particularly the texture quality settings so I could really see how far the game can be pushed on actual hardware instead of some emulation or wrappers like dgVoodoo. With the screen I have it's also possible for me to play the game at 75Hz refresh over VGA so I should also be able to play the game at a constant 75FPS with vsync on (and hopefully all your settings turned to high) if only I can unhook my turn speed using your tool - this should be potentially the best possible LEGO Island experience without using any form of emulation/wrapper. Please implelent this feature and help make it happen Mr KC! Although they are becoming more and more expensive by the day, users with 3dfx Voodoo add-in cards are not completely uncommon, and it is likely in time that others will experience this issue with your tool too.

Thanks for reading!

Screenshot showing original configure tool vs Rebuilder:

(Link removed as flatrute kindly re-uploaded)

And yes that is Win98 desktop in 1920x1080p on original hardware, pretty cool right!? :D
Last edited by Solaris on Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flatrute

Re: Feature Request for LEGO Island Rebuilder

Post by flatrute »

Welcome to the forum! I have converted and reuploaded your screenshot as PNG due to the fourth rule concerning about attaching images.
Rebuilder.png
As for the request itself, I have no relations with the development of the program itself so I cannot say anything other than wait for responses from Matt himself. You can also bring the request to GitHub issue page of the program if you feel like doing it.
It turns out leaving an Internet identity behind is hard MikeBruh

My username is read as "flatorte".

[deleted] posts index

Solaris

Post by Solaris »

Hey flatrute,

Thanks a lot of doing that and cheers for the welcome.

Hopefully Matt will have a reply for me soon :D
Solaris

Post by Solaris »

As a follow-up to this, I went over to the github page as flatrute suggested.

Seems the problem has already been reported by someone else so I guess this confirms it's not just a user error.

See the following link: https://github.com/itsmattkc/LEGOIsland ... /issues/60