Game Boy Pocket vertical line

If you need help with something, this is the place to be.
Mikmoomamimocki

Game Boy Pocket vertical line

Post by Mikmoomamimocki »

Hey, does anyone on this forum know much about Game Boy Pocket repair?

I’m trying to fix up this one. It has a sunburnt screen, but what’s more concerning to me is the vertical line of dead pixels.
3D56F2DA-B4CF-4737-969A-EF3AE47AD8B6.jpeg
Is this fixable? How would I fix it?

- Mikmoomamimocki
arthurDance Mikmoomamimocki arthurDance

can’t spell programmer without pro gamer
MattKC
Site Admin

Re: Game Boy Pocket vertical line

Post by MattKC »

Someone else may be more knowledgeable than me, but I'm not aware of any solution to a dead line of pixels like that. If I had a GBP in that state I'd be inclined to just replace the screen with a shiny new backlit one haha
Mikmoomamimocki

MattKC wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:02 am Someone else may be more knowledgeable than me, but I'm not aware of any solution to a dead line of pixels like that. If I had a GBP in that state I'd be inclined to just replace the screen with a shiny new backlit one haha
Holy cow! It's Asian Keanu Reeves himself! The screen might just be a lost cause. I'm not planning on selling it or anything, so I'll just get rid of the screen burn and see how much the dead pixels annoy me. If it really sucks, I'll probably get a backlit screen or something.

By the way, this is my first electronics repair/restoration thing ever. Your videos are what really got me into the hobby. Thanks!

arthurDance Mikmoomamimocki

acidiclight

Post by acidiclight »

Out of curiosity how does a screen specifically get sun burned? I've never even heard of that happening though admittedly we don't take electronics out into the sun very often.
acidic light

I'm a blind game developer. I write code because it's fun.
CrabHead

Post by CrabHead »

I got my fallout 3 disc sunburnt. I still have it in the box. But hidden of course.
KEKW Goin' Flipmode!
flatrute

Post by flatrute »

acidiclight wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:12 pm Out of curiosity how does a screen specifically get sun burned? I've never even heard of that happening though admittedly we don't take electronics out into the sun very often.
I do not know if "sun burned" is even a right term. I have a 4:3 beige Sharp monitor that ended up in the same situation and all I did was leaving it at a corner in the hot and humid weather of my country LOLXD
It turns out leaving an Internet identity behind is hard MikeBruh

My username is read as "flatorte".

[deleted] posts index

acidiclight

Post by acidiclight »

flatrute wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:51 am
acidiclight wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:12 pm Out of curiosity how does a screen specifically get sun burned? I've never even heard of that happening though admittedly we don't take electronics out into the sun very often.
I do not know if "sun burned" is even a right term. I have a 4:3 beige Sharp monitor that ended up in the same situation and all I did was leaving it at a corner in the hot and humid weather of my country LOLXD
I do remember my mom taking a tablet with her to read on while my dad went out fishing a few years ago, and it was a hot summer day out. Somehow the tablet ended up with a perfectly straight crack down the middle of the screen and we think it was sun damage. It wasn't like my mom dropped it, and even if she did, it would've landed on grass...doubt that would've even made a sound let alone crack the screen perfectly down the middle.

Heat is weird.
acidic light

I'm a blind game developer. I write code because it's fun.
Mikmoomamimocki

Screen burn is fixed and it looks great!
A7CBEF1E-9408-4C61-B2D0-598549702971.jpeg
Well, as great as a game boy screen can be. I’ve never owned a game boy before and I underestimated how bad the screen is.
MattKC wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:02 am If I had a GBP in that state I'd be inclined to just replace the screen with a shiny new backlit one haha
I’m contemplating doing that. On one hand I’d like to play it and not have to awkwardly position the system under a desk lamp, but on the other hand it’s kind of the game boy experience. I’ll probably end up installing a backlight. Might be good soldering practice.

The vertical line is still there. It’s not actually that bad, but if I install a backlight I’ll probably replace the screen. Good time to break out the ultimate game boy pocket video.

flatrute

Post by flatrute »

Mikmoomamimocki wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:02 am Screen burn is fixed and it looks great!
How did you do that?
It turns out leaving an Internet identity behind is hard MikeBruh

My username is read as "flatorte".

[deleted] posts index

Mikmoomamimocki

flatrute wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:57 am
Mikmoomamimocki wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:02 am Screen burn is fixed and it looks great!
How did you do that?
Replaced the polarizer. Basically I cut off the front layer of the screen and replaced it.