What VST/AU plugins have you been using a lot recently?

Any discussion of software that doesn't fit into any category goes here.
casadiella

What VST/AU plugins have you been using a lot recently?

Post by casadiella »

To any of you who dabble in music production, what plugins are your go to's for the moment?

For me as of recent I've been massively focusing on tone and trying to nail different styles of nu-funk and more low fidelity instrumental funk sounds akin to Louis Cole and Vulfpeck. For the moment I'm primarily using the 'Goodhertz' suite (Primarily Vulf Compresser, the most OP plugin for nailing that classic vinyl-emulator sound). Found out about that suite from Ginger Root, one of the absolute kings of satisfying low fidelity guitar/bass tones for me.

I've also been giving a go some of the 'Arturia' plugins. Their clavinet plugin... my god it's good, you cannot beat it. The only plugin I've found that can get that really fat tone from the lower keys. Almost certain it's what Vulfpeck used on Funky Duck.

But yeah, what style have you guys been going for and what plugins do you think have helped you achieve that sort of sound?
kana85hz2c

Re: What VST/AU plugins have you been using a lot recently?

Post by kana85hz2c »

For context I usually only write J-Pop, but love vulfpeck so much I sometimes cram stylistic references to them, much to the horror of my clients.

For lo-fi stuff Izotope has a free plugin called Vinyl that I use quite a lot.
Apart from that I found that just recording with crap mics and intentionally leaving in bleed from other instruments adds to that "home recording" feeling.
Vulfpeck actually has stems of their earlier songs available for download so if you haven't already, I strongly urge you to have a look at that.
Apart from that I sometimes add a pitch shifter onto the mixbus and shift the tuning down literally a notch down to 441.

I used to try out a bunch of VSTs for all sorts of instruments but a few years ago I concluded that nothing beats the sound of the real instrument, so I just outsource to session players, which only really leaves stuff like the piano and drums on VSTs.
On that topic, I do have to say the Ravenscroft 275 is my VST of choice. That dynamic range is just :chefs-kiss:
As for VST effects, I can't live without fabfilter.