What are some obscure pices of software (programs, games, and os's) that don't get enough attention.

Any discussion of software that doesn't fit into any category goes here.
Shaddow798

What are some obscure pices of software (programs, games, and os's) that don't get enough attention.

Post by Shaddow798 »

Hello everyone whats some software that you think is just not known about enough?

One thing that I think is interesting that not many people talk about is Windows Multipoint Server.

Now this was intended for schools, library and small business to get more people using the same computer. (to save money as for just basic web browsing and word processing you really don't need that much power)
Basically being able to use a thin client but in some cases even thinner with just more display outputs and a usb hub.

This was first introduced in 2010 and allowed for multiple users to use the same computer and share resources
This was updated in 2011 which used I think windows home server? as a base and added some interesting features such as split screen where 2 sessions (2 users) could use the same display at the same time which is kind of fucking amazing (but would suck to use)
multipoint2011split.jpg
Then in 2012 it was updated again to use windows server 2012 r1 as a base.

Then in 2016 Microsoft just added multi point as a feature of windows server 2016 mainline.
Then in 2019 it was removed.

This feature basically used windows terminal services (the full version of remote desktop) and routed each session and input device to a different display.

Windows multipoint sever was released to compete with other devices that achieved a similar result such as one by n computing which is covered by this excellent video by The Cathode Ray Dude.
[media] [/media]

tl;dw

This video goes over a device that was sold as a 3 or 7 user access kit. where it would come with 1 or 2 pci cards (that was basically a crappy 3 headed video card) that had rj45 connectors and a break out box. that provided ps2 ports for kb and mouse, and vga and audio. This device used standard windows xp home or pro, and basically hacked the cut down windows xp terminal services to connect back to its self, so you can use multiple users on the same pc. This violated the windows eula/ So Microsoft likely created a competitor for a legal option.

I think the whole mulltipoint, multiuser concept was incredibly cool. and its a shame its been discontinued

So what is some software you this is just not well known even though its interesting.
I'm really bad at english, im also clinically tired.
flatrute

Re: What are some obscure pices of software (programs, games, and os's) that don't get enough attention.

Post by flatrute »

It turns out leaving an Internet identity behind is hard MikeBruh

My username is read as "flatorte".

[deleted] posts index