Philips DSS 940 and DSS 930 Story

Any discussion that doesn't fit into any of the other categories goes here.
OldCrapEnthusiast

Philips DSS 940 and DSS 930 Story

Post by OldCrapEnthusiast »

Alright, this might not be the most interesting story but its probably interesting enough to keep reading,
anyways the title of this topic might sound a bit strange to you, I mean what the hell is a DSS 930 and DSS940
these speakers made by Philips had been made for a short period right around the 90s to compete in the audiophile HiFi scene
yet they never were populair at all due to the very high pricing of these speakers and Philips not being a very audiophile brand at that time
of course in the Netherlands they gained a bit of traction but that's really the only place they where sold, some where sold in hifi stores at that time in Germany and Belgium but not directly from Philips themselves and they were poorly received in those country's as well, now how i even got these speakers is pretty interesting, well you can still buy some second hand of course but there are only about 8 as of right now and that number decreases everyday so these speakers are quite the rare thing and not in the way that rare is costing a lot of money, more in rare as in fading into obscurity, some family member of my dad worked at Philips at that time and asked my dad if he wanted some speakers at a heavily discounted price, of course my dad did snatch them and two pairs of them as well: the DSS930 and DSS940, the DSS930 and DSS940 both have integrated amplifiers and power supply but also have an integrated DSP (digital signal processor) wich corrects errors in sound as well as a DAC (Digital to analog converter), these two beatiful speakers connect to a DSC 950 basically the controller also from Philips wich can then be plugged in a computer with an optical cable, these speakers where very innovative because back in the day there weren't alot of speakers that had that built into the speaker, yet again you do also pay a premium because these speakers originally costed upwards of 4000 euro's after converting the old currency of the Netherlands wich was (gulden) back in the day, i daily drive these speakers as they sound absolutely awesome, and then of course my question do any of you guys have old obscure speakers or headphones laying around with maybe a cool story behind them? let me know.
Attachments
Philips-DSS930.jpg
Philips-DSC950.jpg
d97fb3db-fd96-461d-a193-205590e0c97a.jpg
philips-dss-930.jpg
Philips-DSS930-speakers.jpg
Schermafbeelding_20221228_005356.png
Schermafbeelding_20221228_005423.png
Schermafbeelding_20221228_005446.png
Schermafbeelding_20221228_005509.png
Schermafbeelding_20221228_005552.png
FX2008

Re: Philips DSS 940 and DSS 930 Story

Post by FX2008 »

My brother used to own an old JBL Control 1 Plus speakers in white, they are also not very common and came from Japan, This Does Not Compute made a video about it
here's the link: [media][/media
MattKC
Site Admin

Re: Philips DSS 940 and DSS 930 Story

Post by MattKC »

Wow I love the look of some of those Philips speakers - very 90s and very Philips.

...yes, it reminds me of one of these lol
Philips-CDi-400-Console-Set.jpg