PS3 fat (CECHK02) overheating

If you need help with something, this is the place to be.
spade

PS3 fat (CECHK02) overheating

Post by spade »

Hey so for the past year one of my PS3's has had this temperature issue with the CPU, it's HENed with webMAN so I can see the temperature, and this is how it looks when idle just after system boot:

For the most part it used to be fine while playing games, but since it's so hot in AU atm (I assume thats the reason since it's the only variable that has changed) after booting a game for ~5 minutes the console gives a warning that the system is overheating and it turns off shortly after, whenever I try to look up information online, the majority of my results are just people saying it's early signs of YLOD, I have made the fans run at 80% all the time via webMAN but I still have this temperature issue

I really don't know what else I can try and do with it, I took it apart the other day and checked the thermal paste, fan and vents, but everything was fine, even the thermal paste was still wet, the fan was spotless and the vents were clear, my leading theory is that it's not reading the CPU temperature correctly

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I did install an SSD in to it which I don't think is related but still worth mentioning I guess

Edit: i'm a jackass and posted this in Hardware Modding SadCool
SWOI

Re: PS3 fat (CECHK02) overheating

Post by SWOI »

Do you have duster
spade

Post by spade »

SWOI wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:44 pmDo you have duster
Uhh.. no, but there wasn't any dust in the machine really, I do maintenance on my devices regularly
OldCrapEnthusiast

Post by OldCrapEnthusiast »

you can always repaste it maybe that helps it could be that the thermal paste isn't spreading all the way
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

spade wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:37 pm Edit: i'm a jackass and posted this in Hardware Modding SadCool
Heh that's okay, I think I'll rename these forums to just "hardware general" and "software general" so they less restrictive.

As for the cooling issue, people have already mentioned checking the dust and thermal paste so I won't reiterate that. Have you tried other fan speed profiles with webMAN? Also could give the good ol' eraser mod a try. While I don't know if it'll work for everyone, it definitely worked for me.
flatrute

Post by flatrute »

MattKC wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:15 am
spade wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:37 pm Edit: i'm a jackass and posted this in Hardware Modding SadCool
Heh that's okay, I think I'll rename these forums to just "hardware general" and "software general" so they less restrictive.
Should not this be in "Technical Support" though? Or perhaps I am being too pedantic and/or plain wrong...3Head
It turns out leaving an Internet identity behind is hard MikeBruh

My username is read as "flatorte".

[deleted] posts index

MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

flatrute wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:39 am Should not this be in "Technical Support" though? Or perhaps I am being too pedantic and/or plain wrong...3Head
Eh, perhaps we don't need a technical support forum if we have a hardware and software forum.
flatrute

Post by flatrute »

MattKC wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:50 am Eh, perhaps we don't need a technical support forum if we have a hardware and software forum.
I agree.

[deleted] posts index

acidiclight

Post by acidiclight »

I panicked when I first installed webMAN and saw my PS3 running at 69 C (ha, nice)... now I'm...not so worried.
acidic light

I'm a blind game developer. I write code because it's fun.
Shaddow798

Post by Shaddow798 »

MattKC wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:50 am
flatrute wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:39 am Should not this be in "Technical Support" though? Or perhaps I am being too pedantic and/or plain wrong...3Head
Eh, perhaps we don't need a technical support forum if we have a hardware and software forum.
In some cases like you need just like both.
For some things your hacking both the hardware and software.
So what one do you put it in.
Would just having a Tech discussion category and having something like flairs are on subreddits tagging if its hardware or software.
I'm really bad at english, im also clinically tired.
flatrute

Post by flatrute »

Shaddow798 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:33 am Would just having a Tech discussion category and having something like flairs are on subreddits tagging if its hardware or software.
Are flairs even a thing in phpBB?

Edit: Also at that point this place might just as well be a lame subreddit weirdChamp

[deleted] posts index

MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

Disregard my earlier message, I've decided to restore the technical support forum and move this thread to it. Initially I thought we might not need it if we already had a hardware/software general, but thinking about it more, I decided it might actually be good to contain/separate the threads asking for help from the more discussion/showoff threads.

Sorry for derailing this thread, but I think for the most part it's been answered until the OP reports back any new findings.
Shaddow798

Post by Shaddow798 »

flatrute wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:42 pm
Shaddow798 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:33 am Would just having a Tech discussion category and having something like flairs are on subreddits tagging if its hardware or software.
Are flairs even a thing in phpBB?

Edit: Also at that point this place might just as well be a lame subreddit weirdChamp
I dont think so, also im glad this is not a subreddit
I'm really bad at english, im also clinically tired.
spade

Post by spade »

MattKC wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:53 pm I think for the most part it's been answered until the OP reports back any new findings.
Interestingly after uninstalling webMAN the console is fine, it hasn't "overheated" and the fans haven't been too loud either.. so I wonder if the issue was actually just webMAN not reading the CPU temp properly? I feel like if the console was actually in danger of overheating and causing damage it would have done so by now, or at the least the fans would have ramped up.

You could say that I'm damaging it (since allegedly it was getting too hot to do anything), however in the state it was in before I couldn't play anything for more than 5-10 minutes before it would shut off and complain, so to me, i'm gonna take the risk, I would rather use it than not use it you know

I also mentioned before that I manually set the fan speed to maximum (80%) and it was seemingly having no effect on the temperature issue, not even a bit of temperature change, has been fine for the past week so far but ofc I will post if the console stops working or catches fire