What was the very first console you have modded?

Any discussion that doesn't fit into any of the other categories goes here.
justinwhello

What was the very first console you have modded?

Post by justinwhello »

My first console that I've modded was the SNES Mini which was around around 5 years ago.

I was 10 years old when I first got my SNES Mini for Christmas and I loved it as a kid but after playing it for 3 days I then realized something was missing.
and I knew what was missing on the mini. It was Super Mario All-Stars! a true SNES library wasn't complete without Mario All-Stars!
So I looked up on YouTube for a tutorial on how to mod a SNES Mini and my 10 year old self found out it was very easy to do!
Just plug the mini to your computer, Install Hakchi2 on your computer. Add any ROM you felt like to add in there,
flash the custom kernel with the new game and all done. Now I had Super Mario All-Stars on my collection, FUCK YEAH! kcSmile
and during the following months I kept adding loads more SNES games to it including ironically adding in bad games like Lester the Unlikely and Shaq Fu.
I even learned how to add more than SNES roms like NES, Genesis, Master System, GBA, etc.

TL;DR: I modded my SNES mini when I was 10 so I could play Super Mario All Stars on it.
casadiella

Re: What was the very first console you have modded?

Post by casadiella »

the first thing i modded was my wii. it was easy, it was fun and it still has one of the funnest and coolest homebrew communities out there. im also not much of a gamer but playing with cool shit i find in the open shop channel is still fun to me.
flatrute

Post by flatrute »

Never have any consoles in my life PepeHands
It turns out leaving an Internet identity behind is hard MikeBruh

My username is read as "flatorte".

[deleted] posts index

MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

Technically the first modded console I had was a PS1, but I didn't mod it. My dad's friend donated it to us and it took a while to even realize it was modded (I think one day I just tried a CD-R in it and it happened to work).

I then had a PS2 that I desperately wanted to mod, but back then 20-wire modchips were the only way and I was useless with a soldering iron. I did some tricks like taping over the sensors so I could do some disc swaps but that was about it (it only worked for PS1 games).

I think the OG Xbox was the first console I properly modded myself. Another one of my dad's friends had a modded Xbox with Avalaunch and I thought it was the coolest thing in the world, so I begged my dad to buy one (thankfully by 2008 they weren't very expensive second-hand), and after struggling for a few weeks with the hotswap method, I got it done.
ChilliusVGM

Post by ChilliusVGM »

Hacked my Wii back when I was 8 to play CTGP cause I was absolutely fascinated by MKWii Custom Tracks. I remember running into problems with the old Letterbomb exploit but eventually getting it working after moving files around on the SD Card, this was pre CTGP launcher from what I remember so to actually play the tracks you had to use Riivolution which takes me back lol.

Didn't hack any other consoles for years till I decided to fiddle around with 3DS modding, which was a nightmare in itself as I didn't have an SD card reader so I had to opt with doing it over the network via some fiddly method which probably extended the method by about 3-4 hours, I started at like 1am and ended up being finished by 6am lol (on a school night too, which was a bad mistake)

Last console I modded was my old Switch, it was very fiddly but honestly the end result is so great, been playing Pokémon SoulSilver on it lol

EDIT: actually forgot, in 2021 I got my hand on two Megadrives and did a simple region mod to switch them over from PAL 50hz to NTSC 60hz, which is surprisingly easy since it only involves cutting traces on the board at some jumpers that decided region and language, only requires that you buy an RGB Scart cable to use for output afterwards since the colors get messed up if you don't.
arizonapalms

Post by arizonapalms »

Mine would be doing the 007 Agent Under Fire exploit on my PS2 back in 2012.
I also had an OG XBox handed down to me by my cousins who had it modded with a copy Xecuter2 back in 2002/2003. I upgraded the BIOS on it a few weeks ago to allow Insignia to be used!
Shaddow798

Post by Shaddow798 »

The only console I've ever owned and ever modded was my wii which when I got it was allready modded but after a while the sd card died so I re did it from scratch.

At some point I want to rgh a xbox 360 slim. but that would take a while.
I'm really bad at english, im also clinically tired.
qzip

Post by qzip »

My Nintendo DSi tf
Aware
CrabHead

Post by CrabHead »

Softmod wise? PS2
Hardmod wise? none
Although i have a hardmodded x360 which i bought thinking it was unmodded (i was planning to mod it later) until i pressed the eject button and it showed up a XellLaunch screen... Hmmm
KEKW Goin' Flipmode!
Hanzo

Post by Hanzo »

The very first console I ever modded was my PSP all the way back in 2010!

Since then I have modded some other systems which are:

PS Vita TV
PS3
Wii
Wii U
3DS
DSi
PS4

Honorable Mentions as they were already modded when I bought them:

Xbox 360
OG Xbox
PS2
My life is the authentic stereotypical nerd experience. catJAM
acidiclight

Post by acidiclight »

Two consoles I modded, one was a PSP and the other was my PS3.
acidic light

I'm a blind game developer. I write code because it's fun.
Mikmoomamimocki

Post by Mikmoomamimocki »

I softmodded a DSi and gave it to some young relatives of mine a little while ago. Very easy to mod. Loaded it up with a bunch of kids games but also some classics. Only problem is the DS can't emulate SNES games well. So I also did a 3DS which was also relatively painless. I'm looking to mod my Wii U soon.
arthurDance Mikmoomamimocki arthurDance

can’t spell programmer without pro gamer
ashifter

Post by ashifter »

Back early in the Wii homebrew scene (2009 maybe?) a friend of my older sister's came over and installed a bunch of emulators and stuff on our console. I wasn't very old so I didn't understand the technical side of it, but man playing Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland on the TV absolutely blew my mind. Eventually the homebrew channel was wiped (probably by a system update) and I learned how to do it myself.

Still gotta wonder where that guy ended up. Softmodding a Wii to impress a girl seriously sounds like something I would do
kcSmile
i am not the guy in my profile picture (Unfortunately)
pizzaboxer

Post by pizzaboxer »

Softmodded my Wii when I was 10 so I could play pirated games. lol. Even though it was 2016 and Wii homebrewing was already well established even then, getting backups/loaders to work was a pain in the ass, but it was fun, and I somehow didn't brick my Wii. I think I only started homebrewing my Wii because at the time I saw an upload by Michael MJD about it?
Shaddow798

Post by Shaddow798 »

ashifter wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:54 pm Still gotta wonder where that guy ended up. Softmodding a Wii to impress a girl seriously sounds like something I would do
Well that sounds exactly like something I would do lol.
Its also such a random thing to do just hacking someone elses console to impress them? what idiot would do that,,,
oh wait.
Shaddow798

Post by Shaddow798 »

pizzaboxer wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:07 pm Softmodded my Wii when I was 10 so I could play pirated games. lol. Even though it was 2016 and Wii homebrewing was already well established even then, getting backups/loaders to work was a pain in the ass, but it was fun, and I somehow didn't brick my Wii. I think I only started homebrewing my Wii because at the time I saw an upload by Michael MJD about it?
Yeah if i'm being honest motly the homerbrew on my wii is used to pirate games as they are hard to comebuy as no local stores sell used wii games, so its just expensive from facebook marketplace or trademe.
Shaddow798

Post by Shaddow798 »

This is not a console but its close enough but not close at all.
One of the first things I do remeber hacking was my chromebook to run first linux in like 2015. then later in 2016 Windows 10 and now its back on linux and hasnt been touched in years a a dual core n series celeron with 2gb of ram sucks.
Midi

Post by Midi »

Haven't really modded anything yet, but I would love to get a secondhand Wii U to mod to play older games. But in the meantime, I would love to have my old GameCube see use again somehow... Maybe one of my 3DSes, too.