Amazon linsks do not show when using adblock.

Discussion of any issue (or request) related to this forum.
Shaddow798

Amazon linsks do not show when using adblock.

Post by Shaddow798 »

When using ublock origin, When someone sends an amazon link it normally looks like this when not using an ad block.
Normal behavuoir
Normal behavuoir
But whenever you use adlbock.
Nothing shows up not even the link. Id asume this is because the amazon element looks like an ad so its being blocked.
Not showing anything
Not showing anything
It would be better if amazon links were just treated as normal links.
Then there wouldnt be any of the creepy tracking in the url.
normal url.png
Compared to when you click shop now.
spy.png
I think removing the amazon feature would probably be better.
But that may mean the links wouldn't be amazon referral links so @MattKC might loose money if he does get some from that.

Anyway just turning off adblock on this site works for now anyway.
At least there isn't 2000 ads on every page.
I'm really bad at english, im also clinically tired.
Shaddow798

Re: Amazon linsks do not show when using adblock.

Post by Shaddow798 »

I just noticed in every screenshot you can see my mouse lol.
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

I haven't enabled any "Amazon feature" and I don't make any advertising revenue from this website (and don't currently plan to). I don't even VigLink enabled (a built in phpBB plugin that monetizes links to support them).

I was initially just going to leave it at that, but that begged the question, who is making money off that? Who's profiting off my site when I'm not? Turns out it's the media embed plugin I installed to get YouTube embeds working. I guess they sneakily put some Amazon affiliate stuff in their extension and don't have a way to turn it off.

I'm thinking I might disable it and roll my own after all. As I said, I made the decision not to make ad revenue off this site, it's a little irritating to think someone else is.

EDIT: I found I could disable Amazon embedding, so I went ahead and did it. You're right that Amazon links don't need to show up as ads. In fact I turned off all website embeds that I didn't think were absolutely necessary (YouTube, Twitch, etc.)
Shaddow798

Post by Shaddow798 »

MattKC wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:15 pm I guess they sneakily put some Amazon affiliate stuff in their extension and don't have a way to turn it off.
That is so scummy, although if I was the dev of the plugin I probably would of been tempted to do the same... I have no morals... lol

Thanks for turning it off I was getting really confused because I submitted a post but the links I put in diapered.