3 Broken PS3s

If you need help with something, this is the place to be.
touchdeprived

3 Broken PS3s

Post by touchdeprived »

heya!! this is the first time ive posted on a forum site before,
around a week ago i bought 7 playstations listed as broken (3 PS3 Superslim, 2 PS3 Slim, 2 PS2 Fat) for 110 Australian dollars, I have successfully repaired all of them except for 3, (two superslims and one slim ps3) the slim boots and turns off soon after, then wont turn on for another 5 minutes, i suspect a heating or power supply issue? one of the superslims wont show hdmi but does show av, i have tried holding the power button to get it to work, tested multiple displays and multiple cables, i think its a hdmi port issue? next one wont boot, no red light, no power. at first i thought it was power supply issue? so i swapped it with a working one but it still wouldnt post, i have a soldering iron and im not afraid to use it!! any help is appreciated ^-^
MattKC
Site Admin

Re: 3 Broken PS3s

Post by MattKC »

Have you read for syscon error codes yet? That was definitely the most useful thing for diagnosing mine. If not, there's some information here about how to do it.
touchdeprived

Post by touchdeprived »

MattKC wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:12 pm Have you read for syscon error codes yet? That was definitely the most useful thing for diagnosing mine. If not, there's some information here about how to do it.
thanks! im investing in a ft232r adapter right now! but for the playstation that isnt powering on, i dont think itll do much since it wont boot to send a error code anyway
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

Yeah you're probably right, for a console that doesn't turn on you'd probably need to manually investigate. Check the power supply and other power related components, those are the most likely and easiest to check