Memory Cards (sorta) bricking PS1s.

If you need help with something, this is the place to be.
Nico the Nacho

Memory Cards (sorta) bricking PS1s.

Post by Nico the Nacho »

Okay, so here's the issue.

It all started when I accidentally shut off Crash 3 when it was saving. Big mistake, now the PS1 won't load the game when I boot it back up. I turn it off, remove the memory card, reboot, and the game loads just fine. I re-insert the memory card, and there's my save file. It's lacking the progress I has attempted to save when I interrupted the process, but it's there. I figure, crisis averted.

Nope. Does the same thing the next time I boot it up. I decide to delete the save file and start fresh. When I boot up the game with no save data, it works just fine. I create a new save file, play, and quit. Problem comes back the very next time I come back to the game.

It started as just Crash 3. I decided "Screw it, I'll just get a new memory card." So that's what I do. I go out and get a new memory card, delete the Crash 3 save, copy over every other save, create a fresh Crash 3 save on the new memory card, and the next time I go to play it, again, the same issue pops up. What's more, now it's spreading to my other games as well, and Crash 3? Well, now the console won't boot it regardless of whether or not the memory card is in the console. I figure maybe it's the Disc drive and everything else is just coincidence, so I got a new PS1, and the SAME PROBLEM IS OCCURING. With or without the memory card inserted, it's like it's corrupting the consoles themselves. My guess is that reading from this memory card is triggering security lockdown for some reason that stays in effect even after the memory card is removed? It's totally wierd, I can't find anything on this specific thing online, and I'm upset because I've essentially bricked two PS1s, wasted money on one of those PS1s and a new memory card, and I don't understand why nobody else seems to have encountered this? Matt, I saw your video on how you revived a lost PS2 save file. That's why I'm here. I need a hero, buddy. (Or if anybody who comments can figure out what's going in. Seriously, I'm stumped, and this issue is proving go be a major barrier to me getting into the PS1)
Nico the Nacho

Re: Memory Cards (sorta) bricking PS1s.

Post by Nico the Nacho »

Additional details: when the console refuses to boot a game with the memory card inserted, it will either boot into the BIOS before switching over to the "Please insert a Playstation CD-ROM" screen, or it will load the PS logo screen, then freeze.
SONIC122

Post by SONIC122 »

it seems to me like a sorta dead laser. I dont think the ps1 actually accesses the memcard until the game calls for it (dont quote me on that tho lol). does it do the same thing on a PS2? Ive never really had a good experience with PS1 lasers. they ALWAYS suck.
Nico the Nacho

Post by Nico the Nacho »

It's not the laser. I thought it was with my PSone that this issue originated on, but as soon as I plugged my memory card into the new PSX I got, the same problem cropped back up. It's 100% the memory card doing this, I just can't figure out how
SONIC122

Post by SONIC122 »

I dont want to sound like I'm arguing, but I actually don't think a corrupted save could cause that.
Nico the Nacho

Post by Nico the Nacho »

Normally I'd agree, but I have no other way to try and explain what's going on here and I am utterly baffled.
SONIC122

Post by SONIC122 »

Does the PS1 load games with no memcards plugged in at all?
Nico the Nacho

Post by Nico the Nacho »

Initially, yes. That's how I figured it was the memory cards. Because at first, taking the memory cards out fixed the problem. It started acting up even without them a week or so after this problem started and of me troubleshooting trying to figure out what was going on.

Basically, if I turned on the system with the memory cards in, it wouldn't boot the game. If I take the memory card out and reboot, it would load the game just fine. If I inserted the memory card AFTER the game was loaded, I could load my save. Worked like that every time... until it didn't. Now, with or without memory cards, it will either not load the game at all, or it'll load the game with unplayable slow load times and occasionally skipping music. It plays audio CDs just fine. I listened to the whole of Hybrid Theory on it last night to test it.
Nico the Nacho

Post by Nico the Nacho »

So like, yeah, it sure sounds like a Disc drive problem, if it wasn't for the fact that at first at least, the memory cards seemed to be directly linked to whether or not the games would load.
SONIC122

Post by SONIC122 »

maybe try adjusting the potentiometer or "pot" on the side of the disc drive. this does require you to disassemble the console. there are guides online. it takes a lot of patience and a small screwdriver. maybe use a junk disc to make sure you dont burn your disc, you can actually fu#k your disc if you adjust it wrong. if you dont feel like doing that, you could just find a new drive online. good luck!
Screenshot 2024-03-14 101553.png
PS1 Disc drive on AliExpress