Obscenely Overpriced Vintage Electronics

Any discussion that doesn't fit into any of the other categories goes here.
MattKC
Site Admin

Obscenely Overpriced Vintage Electronics

Post by MattKC »

1. Dig some shitbox-even-at-the-time PC out of a dumpster.
  2. Reinstall Windows 98.
  3. Take a photo of it and cover it with text and logos in mspaint.
  4. List it for thousands of dollars on eBay.
  5. Assure customers that this is actually a VERY FAIR PRICE! while listing utterly mediocre specs.
  6. ???
  7. PROFIT
ebay.png
Screenshot_20221212_181544.png
Dude no way, an Intel 810 onboard GPU??? POGGERS

What other VERY FAIR PRICEs have you seen out there in the wild?
casadiella

Re: Obscenely Overpriced Vintage Electronics

Post by casadiella »

i like how the last keyword listed is just "Business" as if that's somehow a selling point for a computer.
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

Yeah I mean when I search for retro electronics, I always try to get Business stuff. That's how you know it'll be good for games!
Wam

Post by Wam »

??? TWO OF THESE SOLD??
Shaddow798

Post by Shaddow798 »

I hope this is a pricing error.

i pAyeD $700 16 YeArs aGo.
Attachments
Screenshot_2022-12-19_00-19-10.png
I'm really bad at english, im also clinically tired.
Shaddow798

Post by Shaddow798 »

Allthough i want this.
maybe if it was like half the price maybe id consider it.
450 dollars is insanly expensive.
Attachments
Screenshot_2022-12-19_00-23-42.png
Wam

Post by Wam »

I once saw this absolutely obscenely painted PowerMac G5 """Bondi Blue""" going for well over double what I paid for mine, somewhere around £300. In the end I believe it went for somewhere around £50 because seriously who the fuck would pay for a PowerMac with such an awful goddamn paintjob.
s-l1600.jpg
unknown.png
unknown (1).png
unknown (2).png
flatrute

Post by flatrute »

Wam wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:28 pm
s-l1600.png
That leaf touching the fruit OMEGALUL

Edit: Reuploaded the image to the forum in case Discord remove it from their servers.
Last edited by flatrute on Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It turns out leaving an Internet identity behind is hard MikeBruh

My username is read as "flatorte".

[deleted] posts index

Wam

Post by Wam »

flatrute wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:41 pm <snip>
That leaf touching the fruit OMEGALUL
ITS NOT EVEN CENTRED PROPERLY AAAA
Shaddow798

Post by Shaddow798 »

if the paint job wasnt so obnoxiously bad and the colour was slightly diffrent it would kind of look cool.
arizonapalms

Post by arizonapalms »

I always wonder if anyone actually buys these? All I can think of is due to their use of "industrial" in the title, companies who's executive will sign off on just about anything are buying these.
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

Those early backwards compatible PS3s I've mentioned in the past are apparently very prone to GPU failures due to the poor thermal design for its 90nm chips. It's such an epidemic that a "Frankenstein" mod has been developed where you transplant a newer, more reliable 40nm GPU in its place. Backwards compatible models are already rare enough, and one with the mod would undoubtedly be even more valuable because it makes the unit considerably more reliable, and requires a lot of skill and expensive equipment to do.

That being said, holy shit they didn't even cost this much brand new...
Screenshot_20221224_132626.png
Hanzo

Post by Hanzo »

MattKC wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:07 pm Those early backwards compatible PS3s I've mentioned in the past are apparently very prone to GPU failures due to the poor thermal design for its 90nm chips. It's such an epidemic that a "Frankenstein" mod has been developed where you transplant a newer, more reliable 40nm GPU in its place. Backwards compatible models are already rare enough, and one with the mod would undoubtedly be even more valuable because it makes the unit considerably more reliable, and requires a lot of skill and expensive equipment to do.

That being said, holy shit they didn't even cost this much brand new...
Screenshot_20221224_132626.png
Yikes that is expensive!

I got my backwards compatible PS3 from a CeX back in 2016, and they thought it wasn't backwards compatible as it had "NO PS2" written on the label. After I set it up I decided to try a PS2 game and was shocked when I saw it played it flawlessly.

I still have that PS3 to this day and it still works perfectly, best of all I only paid £60 for it.
My life is the authentic stereotypical nerd experience. catJAM
CrabHead

Post by CrabHead »

Fortunately the ps2 classic emulator is good enough to run *some* games
KEKW Goin' Flipmode!
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

Hanzo wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:23 pm I got my backwards compatible PS3 from a CeX back in 2016, and they thought it wasn't backwards compatible as it had "NO PS2" written on the label. After I set it up I decided to try a PS2 game and was shocked when I saw it played it flawlessly.

I still have that PS3 to this day and it still works perfectly, best of all I only paid £60 for it.
Ooh, not bad! I wonder what made them think it wasn't backwards compatible. Is it a CECHC or CECHE model? If so, I could imagine confusion because those technically use a hybrid of hardware and software emulation for the backwards compatibility, rather than the all-hardware approach of the earlier CECHB and CECHA models.
Hanzo

Post by Hanzo »

MattKC wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:32 pm
Hanzo wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:23 pm I got my backwards compatible PS3 from a CeX back in 2016, and they thought it wasn't backwards compatible as it had "NO PS2" written on the label. After I set it up I decided to try a PS2 game and was shocked when I saw it played it flawlessly.

Ooh, not bad! I wonder what made them think it wasn't backwards compatible. Is it a CECHC or CECHE model? If so, I could imagine confusion because those technically use a hybrid of hardware and software emulation for the backwards compatibility, rather than the all-hardware approach of the earlier CECHB and CECHA models.
It’s a CECHC model so it’s the hybrid. As for what made them think it wasn’t backwards compatible I don’t know, maybe they tried a PS2 game before putting it up for sale and it didn’t work?
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

Hanzo wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:38 am It’s a CECHC model so it’s the hybrid. As for what made them think it wasn’t backwards compatible I don’t know, maybe they tried a PS2 game before putting it up for sale and it didn’t work?
How much do you wanna bet they had a cursory glance at that wiki page (or something like it) and saw that it wasn't listed under "Hardware-based PS2 Backward Compatibility" and assumed that meant no backwards compat whatsoever lol

CeX employees when they accidentally sell something for half it's actual value: LOLXD
Hanzo

Post by Hanzo »

MattKC wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:41 am
Hanzo wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:38 am It’s a CECHC model so it’s the hybrid. As for what made them think it wasn’t backwards compatible I don’t know, maybe they tried a PS2 game before putting it up for sale and it didn’t work?
How much do you wanna bet they had a cursory glance at that wiki page (or something like it) and saw that it wasn't listed under "Hardware-based PS2 Backward Compatibility" and assumed that meant no backwards compat whatsoever lol

CeX employees when they accidentally sell something for half it's actual value: LOLXD
Yeah that’s always a possibility too.

But hey I got it for a good deal!
Loomeh

Post by Loomeh »

400+ USD (on sale btw) for a GameCube bundle
CrabHead

Post by CrabHead »

Not a device but a game
scpt screenshot
scpt screenshot
If you're not polish, let me help you! 2000zł is 455 usd murica', funnily enough you can see on the box that it costed 25zł before (around 5 usd). Big fail.
You could make an argument it was never opened etc. but it's literally a box with a manual and 3 cds. i'd understand way more when it could be a big box or a collectors edition but this? come on...
KEKW Goin' Flipmode!