Using Instagram for Messaging Only

If you need help with something, this is the place to be.
a_regular_pear

Using Instagram for Messaging Only

Post by a_regular_pear »

Lately, I've been spending a significant amount of time on Instagram, mainly due to the addictive nature of Reels. While they're entertaining, it's also clear that they can be a substantial time sink. Consequently, I'm thinking of uninstalling the app. The problem is that I heavily rely on Instagram for its messaging features.

So, my question to all of you is: Does anyone know of a way to use Instagram exclusively for messaging? Are there any custom apps or clever workarounds that allow you to focus solely on messaging without the distractions of the main feed and Reels?
unsimp

Re: Using Instagram for Messaging Only

Post by unsimp »

While you could use or modify Barinsta, Its been known to cause bans on accounts and also it locked my account and made me change password . You could probably embed the messages page into an app with an PWA app such as https://github.com/cylonid/NativeAlphaForAndroid

Edit: i used the above app with instagram.com/direct/inbox and it works
Attachments
an example of using a pwa launcher w/ instagram messages
an example of using a pwa launcher w/ instagram messages
Heyyyyyy its un and i do random shit on the internet when im bored 3Head
My Github
a_regular_pear

Post by a_regular_pear »

unsimp wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:41 pm While you could use or modify Barinsta, Its been known to cause bans on accounts and also it locked my account and made me change password . You could probably embed the messages page into an app with an PWA app such as https://github.com/cylonid/NativeAlphaForAndroid

Edit: i used the above app with instagram.com/direct/inbox and it works
The app is functioning well, but I'm encountering an issue with notifications. Unlike the Instagram website on a regular browser, I'm not receiving any notifications. Is there a way to enable them in the app?
Patrick77

Post by Patrick77 »

Utilizing Instagram solely for messaging purposes can streamline communication. It allows focused interaction, leveraging the platform's messaging features efficiently. This approach ensures a clear distinction, making the app a dedicated communication tool, potentially enhancing responsiveness and effectiveness in exchanging messages.
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

Patrick77 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:26 am Utilizing Instagram solely for messaging purposes can streamline communication. It allows focused interaction, leveraging the platform's messaging features efficiently. This approach ensures a clear distinction, making the app a dedicated communication tool, potentially enhancing responsiveness and effectiveness in exchanging messages. instander
Hey bot.
a_regular_pear wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:23 am So, my question to all of you is: Does anyone know of a way to use Instagram exclusively for messaging? Are there any custom apps or clever workarounds that allow you to focus solely on messaging without the distractions of the main feed and Reels?
This situations reminds me of some friends who used Facebook to talk to friends, but very much didn't actually want to use Facebook. Funnily enough, Meta/FB did eventually spin off FB's messaging into separate apps, both on mobile and on desktop (messenger.com). Considering that, it's actually surprising they haven't done the same for Instagram, or integrated its messaging features into any of these apps/systems. Unfortunately I'm not sure if I know of any alternatives other than what's already been suggested in this thread.
flatrute

Post by flatrute »

MattKC wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:56 am Hey bot.
I like how you just leave the bot profile as it kcSmug
It turns out leaving an Internet identity behind is hard MikeBruh

My username is read as "flatorte".

[deleted] posts index