Need help with charging an ASUS TF101G tablet without the proprietary adapter

Any discussion of hardware that doesn't fit into any other category goes here.
sunfl0wer

Need help with charging an ASUS TF101G tablet without the proprietary adapter

Post by sunfl0wer »

So... I repaired an old ASUS EEE Pad Transformer (TF101G) but the connector on the charger is broken. Is there a way to charge the tablet without the proprietary connector? Charging speed doesn't matter, I just want to be able to turn it on and check that it actually works (image is just for reference)

Adapter-Charger-for-Asus-Tablet-Eee-Pad-Transformer-TF101-TF201.jpg
I don't put CDs in my computer
MattKC
Site Admin

Re: Need help with charging an ASUS TF101G tablet without the proprietary adapter

Post by MattKC »

Hmm that plug seems pretty proprietary, and I'm guessing this predates USB-C? In which case, no, there probably isn't, at least nothing that would be easier than just getting a replacement charger (e.g. you could solder the correct voltage directly to the board, but that's not a great solution by any means). Is there a way to repair the connector itself?
sunfl0wer

Re: Need help with charging an ASUS TF101G tablet without the proprietary adapter

Post by sunfl0wer »

MattKC wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:40 am Hmm that plug seems pretty proprietary, and I'm guessing this predates USB-C? In which case, no, there probably isn't, at least nothing that would be easier than just getting a replacement charger (e.g. you could solder the correct voltage directly to the board, but that's not a great solution by any means). Is there a way to repair the connector itself?
Nope, the connector is absolutely destroyed, because it was used for, like, 10 years. I wish I had a better soldering iron so that I have the opportunity to mod the dock with a DC connector so that I don't need to use a proprietary one when charging the tablet. But I'd probably rather order a new cable from AliExpress than buy a whole new soldering iron.
I don't put CDs in my computer