how do i make my own ubuntu based linux distro?

Any discussion of software that doesn't fit into any category goes here.
LemonDogeYT

how do i make my own ubuntu based linux distro?

Post by LemonDogeYT »

i wanna make an ubuntu based linux distro but every youtube tutorial says i have to have linux on my computer to run the software that lets you customize ubuntu. i have set up virtual machines in the past to try and run the linux software but the software always breaks and i wouldnt know how to fix it because im a windows person, so if there was any software made for windows that lets you make an ubuntu based distro, please reply to this post.

(sorry for the bad english i just woke up)
im a tech nerd
flatrute

Re: how do i make my own ubuntu based linux distro?

Post by flatrute »

If you mean to create a completely new distro like Xubuntu (which uses XFCE desktop environment) comparing to Ubuntu (which uses GNOME one) then as far as I know, no, you need to have a Linux environment to do so. If you run Windows 11 and recent enough versions of Windows 10, you could install Windows Subsystem for Linux to have an environment to run those distro builder softwares.

Though, I need to ask a big question. Why exactly do you want to make a custom distro? It is not something that everyone could do. I have been a long time Linux user and I myself never think of making such distro. I would just install an existing one and then customise it to my liking.
It turns out leaving an Internet identity behind is hard MikeBruh

My username is read as "flatorte".

[deleted] posts index

WinNT4SP6

Post by WinNT4SP6 »

Creating your own distro is a pretty monumental task, you should probably just stick with what is already available, especially since Ubuntu based distros aren't difficult to come by.
PogChamp
LemonDogeYT

Post by LemonDogeYT »

flatrute wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:40 am If you mean to create a completely new distro like Xubuntu (which uses XFCE desktop environment) comparing to Ubuntu (which uses GNOME one) then as far as I know, no, you need to have a Linux environment to do so. If you run Windows 11 and recent enough versions of Windows 10, you could install Windows Subsystem for Linux to have an environment to run those distro builder softwares.

Though, I need to ask a big question. Why exactly do you want to make a custom distro? It is not something that everyone could do. I have been a long time Linux user and I myself never think of making such distro. I would just install an existing one and then customise it to my liking.
thanks, but its not about the customization for myself, its the customization for the public. i can make a linux distro with any package i want pre-installed. i can replace firefox with opera, i can replace gnome for KDE, i can do anything i want.
im a tech nerd
LemonDogeYT

Post by LemonDogeYT »

WinNT4SP6 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:54 pm Creating your own distro is a pretty monumental task, you should probably just stick with what is already available, especially since Ubuntu based distros aren't difficult to come by.
currently existing ubuntu distros arent enough, i wanna create an OS to unite all OSes, something that could actually make an impact on the world. something that dosent have 10 gigabytes of spyware.
im a tech nerd
sunfl0wer

Post by sunfl0wer »

LemonDogeYT wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:59 pm currently existing ubuntu distros arent enough, i wanna create an OS to unite all OSes, something that could actually make an impact on the world. something that dosent have 10 gigabytes of spyware.
You can do that with LFS, but if you want to "unite all OSes", then I'd probably disappoint you a bit, because VanillaOS already exists, so that's nothing new.
I don't put CDs in my computer
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

LemonDogeYT wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:59 pm i wanna create an OS to unite all OSes, something that could actually make an impact on the world
It's a respectable goal, but probably not really possible. It sounds like you want to go against Windows and macOS, both of which are backed by billion dollar corporations and have massive established install bases. It would be a tremendous job trying to dislodge all of that on your own.

The main benefit to Windows and macOS (apart from macOS' tight integration with Apple hardware) is their respective software libraries. Translation layers like WINE and Darling can bring those applications to Linux, but you need to replicate a huge amount of those OSes to get widespread compatibility, and neither of them are 100% yet (though WINE is getting very good, and can ironically do a little better than Windows itself for older apps nowadays).

Essentially, I never like to say anything is impossible, but it's a massive job that a lot of other projects with a lot of resources behind them (RHEL, WINE, etc.) still haven't quite managed to achieve.

Good luck!