PS2 HDD help

Any discussion of hardware that doesn't fit into any other category goes here.
SONIC122

PS2 HDD help

Post by SONIC122 »

not sure if this belongs in hardware or software, but i put it here so deal with it EZ
anyway I bought a PS2 back in very early 2021, with a 4TB segate HDD (and SATA mod) from a pawn shop for $99 POGGERS
anyway i was wondering if it would be a waste of time and money to buy a SATA to USB adapter to partition the drive to work with FMCB and OPL and stuff like that. im still kind of a noob with this stuff, so try to explain it so an idiot would understand. Thunking
CrabHead

Re: PS2 HDD help

Post by CrabHead »

The best way would be to plug it to the motherboard since higher speeds and all that stuff but for convienence you can buy a sata to usb adapter. Thats what i use anyway.

Since you have a 4TB HDD, you have to get a different version of OPL since normal PS2's cant handle more than 2TB of storage. I'll leave a link to a Macho Nacho video where he goes over the whole thing (

Note, like said in the video, you'll have to get a memory card with FreeMCBoot on it since FreeHDBoot doesnt work with more than 2tb capacity drives. But that also is simple if you have a spare memory card and a spare DVD disc, since FreeDVDBoot exists (guide to how set it up
KEKW Goin' Flipmode!
SONIC122

Post by SONIC122 »

i have the SATA upgrade board in mine, so the SATA HDD spins up and clicks occasionally but is wont actually show up, it just says stuff like,"the HDD is not connected" or something along those lines. https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Upgrade- ... B08PP5RSDV <--- thats the purple board installed in my network adapter.
thanks for the help Dance Dance Dance Dance
CrabHead

Post by CrabHead »

SONIC122 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:20 pm i have the SATA upgrade board in mine, so the SATA HDD spins up and clicks occasionally but is wont actually show up, it just says stuff like,"the HDD is not connected" or something along those lines. https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Upgrade- ... B08PP5RSDV <--- thats the purple board installed in my network adapter.
thanks for the help Dance Dance Dance Dance
Have you tried verifying if the board is dead with another hdd? note, ps2 only handles 2tb of storage so things above 2tb may not work.
KEKW Goin' Flipmode!
SONIC122

Post by SONIC122 »

i dont really want to spend money on another hdd if i dont have to. it does spin up and occasionally click when i try to access it on the PS2
CrabHead

Post by CrabHead »

the best way would be to format it to exfat, transfer some games over and see if it works. As i said use the grimdoomer's opl 1.2.0 as it supports 2tb+ hdd's
KEKW Goin' Flipmode!
SONIC122

Post by SONIC122 »

ok, next question, can i find a good SATA to HDD adapter on the cheap, only in freshman year of high school so i dont have a job lmao

*edit sata to USB lol
Last edited by SONIC122 on Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrabHead

Post by CrabHead »

sata to hdd what yo on about
KEKW Goin' Flipmode!
SONIC122

Post by SONIC122 »

SATA to USB lmao sorry