Planning on building a Windows XP retro PC or something similar maybe?

Any discussion of hardware that doesn't fit into any other category goes here.
TheFinnishShaman

Planning on building a Windows XP retro PC or something similar maybe?

Post by TheFinnishShaman »

I have a pretty cool NForce 3 LanParty motherboard lying around with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 and 4 sticks of 512MB DDR RAM on it. The motherboard only has an AGP slot but I fortunately happen to own some decent AGP cards. Now the question is what operating system should I install for the system. Windows XP seems like the most ideal choice, but I still kind of want to install something less obsolete for dual-booting. Windows 10 doesn't seem to support AGP cards too well so I'm pretty sure I'll be going for Linux. Any suggestions which distro should I go for?

Here's a picture of the mobo:
flatrute

Re: Planning on building a Windows XP retro PC or something similar maybe?

Post by flatrute »

antiX which is based on Debian seems like a balance pick between low-end hardware and beginner-friendly modern Linux to me.
It turns out leaving an Internet identity behind is hard MikeBruh

My username is read as "flatorte".

[deleted] posts index

MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

Not sure what your general familiarity is with Linux, but one of the key features of Arch is that it's largely DIY, so you should theoretically be able to tailor it to your hardware.

For some reason, this reminds me of the days of Damn Small Linux, the distro whose main selling point was that it ran off an ISO under 50 MB. I guess it was mostly for novelty (or possibly for embedded systems?), I wonder if anyone ever mained it on their desktop lol
Hanzo

Post by Hanzo »

My Windows XP machine is literally a MacBook Pro from 2010. Runs XP really well and to add on to this I dualbooted Vista with it.
My life is the authentic stereotypical nerd experience. catJAM