Public Computer Errors

Any discussion that doesn't fit into any of the other categories goes here.
MattKC
Site Admin

Public Computer Errors

Post by MattKC »

When a screen inadvertently reveals its true nature.

I'll start, here's one of those advertising screens in a mall. My favorite thing is how they inadvertently revealed they hadn't paid for Windows lmao.
PXL_20230102_031712380.jpg
PXL_20230102_031706756.jpg
CrabHead

Re: Public Computer Errors

Post by CrabHead »

Oh yeah. Don't have pictures but when i went to mcdonalds with the class at like 9 am to the mall, the screens where you order had some error that looked like it was from windows 7. No desktop or anything, just this error. Touching the "OK" prompt only closed the error. The machines were back online when we were done eating.
KEKW Goin' Flipmode!
fahugugads

Post by fahugugads »

I don't have any pictures of it, but years ago I went to check my balance at an ATM. When I walked up to it I noticed that it had somehow gotten onto the desktop, and it looked like someone had installed a couple of games on there. Whatever brave idiot who turned an in-service public ATM into their sleeper computer, kudos.
If we're talking about your children's future, primary and secondary investments simply won't cut it. We need to talk about 𝒯𝑒𝓇𝓉𝒾𝒶𝓇𝓎 investments.
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

fahugugads wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:18 pm I don't have any pictures of it, but years ago I went to check my balance at an ATM. When I walked up to it I noticed that it had somehow gotten onto the desktop, and it looked like someone had installed a couple of games on there. Whatever brave idiot who turned an in-service public ATM into their sleeper computer, kudos.
Gaming on da ATM SAWNIC

I remember a store along a busy road near me had an advertising screen that somehow lost internet connection, revealing it was just a Chromecast inside. From what I know, Chromecasts tend to be pretty easy to get into and reconfigure since they're generally designed for simple home use, I wonder if anyone ever tried... (since then the screen has been smashed in so I can't try it now haha)
altair

Post by altair »

windowsrecovery.jpeg
Local KoopasTM stomping laundromats Surfin
Loomeh

Post by Loomeh »

One of the items on my bucket list is to find a USB port on a public computer and load Linux on it.

Gonna play Sonic R on the McDonald's self service kiosk :)
GenericObjectShow

Post by GenericObjectShow »

I custom build embedded computers sometimes.
They're fun to mess with.
I've made like, 3 of them with:
-A composite display I found at my local thrift store.
-A HDMI to AV adapter (those exist mostly for Roku(s))
-A battery (MUST BE 2 AMPS)
-Either a LattePanda or a Raspberry Pi 3B
-A cardboard box
-Some scissors
-Tape