What OS are you maining?

Any discussion that doesn't fit into any of the other categories goes here.

What OS are you maining?

Windows 7 or earlier
3%
Windows 8.x
2%
Windows 10
34%
Windows 11
23%
macOS
8%
Linux
28%
FreeBSD
1%
Other
1%

Total votes: 120

MattKC
Site Admin

Re: What OS are you maining?

Post by MattKC »

pizzaboxer wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:36 pm Yeah... about that......
Man, Longhorn had some beautiful styles that never saw the light of day. I only ever used them as uxthemes on XP (or saw them in screenshots)
Sakuradanceru

Post by Sakuradanceru »

MattKC wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:31 am Man, Longhorn had some beautiful styles that never saw the light of day. I only ever used them as uxthemes on XP (or saw them in screenshots)
same, my personal favourite from the time was Plex

the now dead XPde for Linux used it as the default theme too
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
NickJSPY

Post by NickJSPY »

Its a mix for me Windows 95 XP 7 10 11 and Ubuntu and Arch
My goofy friend Nugg3t said "The XP machine got cheese pizzaed" 3Head
flatrute

Post by flatrute »

NickJSPY wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:37 am Windows 95
NickJSPY wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:37 am and Arch
Based.
NickJSPY wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:37 am XP 7 10 11 and Ubuntu
Cringe.
It turns out leaving an Internet identity behind is hard MikeBruh

My username is read as "flatorte".

[deleted] posts index

JohnSkeleton

Post by JohnSkeleton »

I use win 10 right now, i'd love to switch to linux but this is a gaming PC so i have to deal with microsoft being ass
flatrute

Post by flatrute »

JohnSkeleton wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:04 pm I use win 10 right now, i'd love to switch to linux but this is a gaming PC so i have to deal with microsoft being ass
I have heard from time to time that Wine and Proton can deal with many games nowadays with little to no configurations. You can try dual booting or simply installing Linux on a new drive.

[deleted] posts index

MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

flatrute wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:14 am I have heard from time to time that Wine and Proton can deal with many games nowadays with little to no configurations. You can try dual booting or simply installing Linux on a new drive.
Yeah this is my experience. I don't even use my Windows VM for gaming anymore, pretty much everything I play runs perfectly on Linux with Wine/Proton. The only times it still gets caught up is on some anti-cheat implementations for multiplayer games, or occasionally on really new games (e.g. Halo Infinite initially used a ton of DX12 stuff that was never implemented in Proton/DXVK, but I'm pretty sure they've got it working now).
flatrute

Post by flatrute »

MattKC wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:15 pm Yeah this is my experience. I don't even use my Windows VM for gaming anymore, pretty much everything I play runs perfectly on Linux with Wine/Proton. The only times it still gets caught up is on some anti-cheat implementations for multiplayer games, or occasionally on really new games (e.g. Halo Infinite initially used a ton of DX12 stuff that was never implemented in Proton/DXVK, but I'm pretty sure they've got it working now).
I know that pain SadCool staring at An Anime Game

[deleted] posts index

altair

Post by altair »

Kubuntu

I'm new to the whole linux thing (still have Windows on dual boot, attachment issues) but I have no major complaints so far. KDE feels like Windows with some actual thought put into it and I find myself logging into Windows less and less over time.
Local KoopasTM stomping laundromats Surfin
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

KDE is OP. I'm mad it took me so long to switch to it, but it just works exactly how I want it to. As you say, it's got the familiarity of Windows (by default) but can be tweaked to work exactly how you want without having to deal with any of MSFT's boneheaded decisions.
wisecar

Post by wisecar »

flatrute wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:04 pm I know that pain SadCool staring at An Anime Game
You'll laugh but my approach has been to run it on PS5 and use Chiaki to stream to my PC.
flatrute

Post by flatrute »

wisecar wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:27 pm You'll laugh but my approach has been to run it on PS5 and use Chiaki to stream to my PC.
Seems like a fine approach. How is the latency? (Also do you know what exact game I was talking about? Just to be sure...)

[deleted] posts index

wisecar

Post by wisecar »

flatrute wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:35 pm Seems like a fine approach. How is the latency? (Also do you know what exact game I was talking about? Just to be sure...)
Of course, a certain game where one can wish (after buying said wish with a currency that you can optionally unlock with another currency which you can buy with money) to hopefully unlock even better anime characters with which to explore, where the anti-cheat prevents it from running on Linux and where even naming it can be considered risky by some...

Latency with chiaki is genuinely really, really good. I use it all the time to play on my Steam Deck and there's no discernible latency at all between it and the TV.

In some games it is evident - for example in the RGG games (Yakuza, Judgment) timing things like darts can get a bit trickier but for "typical" gameplay it works shockingly well.

Interestingly enough I've noticed Chiaki seems to run better on Linux than Windows...
flatrute

Post by flatrute »

wisecar wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:44 pm Of course, a certain game where one can wish (after buying said wish with a currency that you can optionally unlock with another currency which you can buy with money) to hopefully unlock even better anime characters with which to explore, where the anti-cheat prevents it from running on Linux and where even naming it can be considered risky by some...
I still find it ridiculous that we have to self censor like that LOLXD
wisecar wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:44 pm Latency with chiaki is genuinely really, really good. I use it all the time to play on my Steam Deck and there's no discernible latency at all between it and the TV.

In some games it is evident - for example in the RGG games (Yakuza, Judgment) timing things like darts can get a bit trickier but for "typical" gameplay it works shockingly well.
So unless one is playing rhythm games such as DJMatt...I mean DJMax KEKW the solution is about as good as far as local network streaming goes? That is good to know.
wisecar wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:44 pm Interestingly enough I've noticed Chiaki seems to run better on Linux than Windows...
Most well programmed software generally run better on Linux as far as I can tell.

[deleted] posts index

wisecar

Post by wisecar »

flatrute wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:55 pm Most well programmed software generally run better on Linux as far as I can tell.
Indeed - I still run Windows though I'll probably switch to Linux sooner or later, but I used to run macOS and something I find amusing is with my current system I've found it consistently benchmarks higher in Linux and even, yes, macOS, than it does in Windows (despite having an AMD CPU).

It does make me wonder if there's something just "wrong" with the Windows scheduler...
SONIC122

Post by SONIC122 »

chrome OS KEKW
flatrute

Post by flatrute »

SONIC122 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:43 pmchrome OS KEKW
What sort of laptop are you using, then?

[deleted] posts index

SONIC122

Post by SONIC122 »

chromebook X360 11MK G3 Aware
yoshi

Post by yoshi »

I use good ol' Winny 10 on my main PC, but I do have a laptop with Arch on it and it works well. I'm not sure if I'll fully commit to Linux when Win 10 support gets dropped, but I do like using it from time to time.
"Computer over? Virus equals very yes? That's not a good prize!" Aware
flatrute

Post by flatrute »

yoshi wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:06 pm I use good ol' Winny 10 on my main PC, but I do have a laptop with Arch on it and it works well. I'm not sure if I'll fully commit to Linux when Win 10 support gets dropped, but I do like using it from time to time.
You can simply first list what you do the most on your Windows machine and then look for alternatives in Linux.

[deleted] posts index