What OS are you maining?

Any discussion that doesn't fit into any of the other categories goes here.

What OS are you maining?

Windows 7 or earlier
3%
Windows 8.x
2%
Windows 10
34%
Windows 11
23%
macOS
8%
Linux
28%
FreeBSD
1%
Other
1%

Total votes: 120

CrabHead

Re: What OS are you maining?

Post by CrabHead »

Shaddow798 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:13 am
CrabHead wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:40 pm
nugg3t wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:33 pm

You could use OneCore API for most modern programs, for example Chrome 100, but it is extremely buggy.
Oh also, modern driver support. Forgot that. doing the sata driver update thing with a floppy disk made me do unspeakable things. SadCool
yeah you can get xp to mostly work on anything haswel or older but anything newer then that it doesnt work too well.
on most haswel desktops as long as the gpu supports xp (is from like 2014 or earlier) you can run xp.
I think the fastest xp machine would be like a 4790k (or what ever the extreme edition counterparts are) and a titan x
Actually my main pc is below intels 4790k (i think its i5 4420) i could try to do that for a gig, but id need a another hdd because well i dont have space

Also can we all agree that win 11 sucks big balls and shouldnt exist
KEKW Goin' Flipmode!
Shaddow798

Post by Shaddow798 »

CrabHead wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:30 am
Shaddow798 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:13 am
CrabHead wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:40 pm

Oh also, modern driver support. Forgot that. doing the sata driver update thing with a floppy disk made me do unspeakable things. SadCool
yeah you can get xp to mostly work on anything haswel or older but anything newer then that it doesnt work too well.
on most haswel desktops as long as the gpu supports xp (is from like 2014 or earlier) you can run xp.
I think the fastest xp machine would be like a 4790k (or what ever the extreme edition counterparts are) and a titan x
Actually my main pc is below intels 4790k (i think its i5 4420) i could try to do that for a gig, but id need a another hdd because well i dont have space

Also can we all agree that win 11 sucks big balls and shouldnt exist
windows 11 is horrible and i dont want to use it.
anyway i find linux is easier to use.
But for binblows users, I would recomend you install ltsc iot 2021
and activate it with hid
then you will get software updates untill 2031.
5 years after windows 10 hits eol.
I'm really bad at english, im also clinically tired.
acidiclight

Post by acidiclight »

Right now I'm using Windows 11, but I also use macOS and this lesser-known one...I think it's called cellOS? I dunno, I just know it's designed for the Cell processor.
acidic light

I'm a blind game developer. I write code because it's fun.
nugg3t

Post by nugg3t »

XP is on top, and based. arthurDance arthurDance arthurDance
Attachments
744-B856-A-AA2-F-468-C-A2-E6-96-B427-A20-D87.jpeg
Last edited by nugg3t on Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
If you reply, you INSTANTLY own a 20 inch Symphonic CRT TV. 8-) 8-)
"im back" -me, 11/23/23, 12:46am cst
flatrute

Post by flatrute »

nugg3t wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:17 am Image

XP is on top, and based. arthurDance arthurDance arthurDance
Not related but can you reupload and embed the image there directly? In case that website goes down... (Click on pencil button at the top right corner of existing posts then "Attachments" tab below. For new posts just click "Full Editor & Preview".)

Edit: The image has been reuploaded and its anchor has been changed.
It turns out leaving an Internet identity behind is hard MikeBruh

My username is read as "flatorte".

[deleted] posts index

ashifter

Post by ashifter »

I wish I could say something cooler than Fedora 37 but Fedora 37 lmao. Runs well. I also use Windows 10 on a secondary machine and remote into it over Parsec if I need access to a quick Windows machine, works better than VM for my purposes.
kcSmile
i am not the guy in my profile picture (Unfortunately)
acidiclight

Post by acidiclight »

ashifter wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:37 am I wish I could say something cooler than Fedora 37 but Fedora 37 lmao. Runs well. I also use Windows 10 on a secondary machine and remote into it over Parsec if I need access to a quick Windows machine, works better than VM for my purposes.
Knowing you as a somewhat close-friend, I fully expected you to flat-out say you main Windows Vista.
acidic light

I'm a blind game developer. I write code because it's fun.
ashifter

Post by ashifter »

acidiclight wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:50 am
ashifter wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:37 am I wish I could say something cooler than Fedora 37 but Fedora 37 lmao. Runs well. I also use Windows 10 on a secondary machine and remote into it over Parsec if I need access to a quick Windows machine, works better than VM for my purposes.
Knowing you as a somewhat close-friend, I fully expected you to flat-out say you main Windows Vista.
Oh, I wouldn't go that far... it DOES run great on my 5900X and GTX 1080 though tf
kcSmile
i am not the guy in my profile picture (Unfortunately)
damy

Post by damy »

Running le arch and booting up win10 in vm if needed
NetwideRogue

Post by NetwideRogue »

I'm using Monterey at the moment. <10% of my Steam library is nominally supported (some of those don't work and some of the games that aren't blessed for Catalina do work anyway). It brings back fond memories from ten years ago of using Linux, which has managed to swap places with Mac on the videogame front thanks in part to Apple's war on backwards compatibility. So it's a good idea to switch to a different OS every once in a while to break gaming addiction.
Shaddow798

Post by Shaddow798 »

NetwideRogue wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:42 pm I'm using Monterey at the moment. <10% of my Steam library is nominally supported (some of those don't work and some of the games that aren't blessed for Catalina do work anyway). It brings back fond memories from ten years ago of using Linux, which has managed to swap places with Mac on the videogame front thanks in part to Apple's war on backwards compatibility. So it's a good idea to switch to a different OS every once in a while to break gaming addiction.
Yeah apple seems to have had a war on keeping things working properly for too long.

I had all my programing shit setup on my hackintosh running high serria.
But that was running on an nvidia gpu.
so by the time I could update to anything newer most of the shit i had setup was broken in catilina.

It used to be linux game support sucked and macos was okay but that has indead flipped.
I'm really bad at english, im also clinically tired.
OldCrapEnthusiast

Post by OldCrapEnthusiast »

yeah I use Windows 10 as of right now due to my work programs only work on Windows and sadly not on Linux some have been ported to linux but the majority of programs I use aren't ported and don't work quite right on wine, although I would really want to try it, if anyone can suggest a good linux operating sytem, since I have no idea which one to choose I mean there's Ubuntu, Linux mint, and some other flavours. I've got another 1tb ssd for dual booting, so I am open for suggestions
maxmoon

Post by maxmoon »

I've banned any spyware years ago, so no Windows in my house.

I used MX Linux for the last 4 years, but I might migrate to Debian (testing), soon.
remstik

Post by remstik »

Windows 11 and only beacause I can't figure out RT88x2bu drivers for Linux

I'm computer savvy, but not *that* computer savvy
sorry for shitting in your shower, it will happen again
Mikmoomamimocki

Post by Mikmoomamimocki »

I use MacOS at home and Windows for gaming and work stuff, but I'd like to try out Linux sometime.
arthurDance Mikmoomamimocki arthurDance

can’t spell programmer without pro gamer
Michael Power

Post by Michael Power »

Win11 Pro at the moment

Want to switch to Linux at some point, but if I do, then will have to figure out workarounds for my Elgato products (Game Capture, Stream Deck)
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

Michael Power wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:52 pm Want to switch to Linux at some point, but if I do, then will have to figure out workarounds for my Elgato products (Game Capture, Stream Deck)
Elgato is a tough one. Video in general can be difficult on Linux, it took a while to get OBS on Linux to a point where I can stream on it, and I'm still working on being able to edit videos comfortably.

I used to use all Elgato stuff, but I've been going through a process of finding alternatives for capture since switching. That's why I was interested enough in that Cloner-Alliance device (though it didn't really pass as a complete replacement). Sometimes I do still just use the Elgato GCHD (in a Windows VM), but I'm looking into some AVerMedia/Blackmagic stuff that's supposed to work on Linux. I'm also aware that the latest Elgatos are UVC (so they're driverless and will work on anything), but they're a little more expensive than I'd like right now.
flatrute

Post by flatrute »

MattKC wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:02 pm Elgato is a tough one. Video in general can be difficult on Linux, it took a while to get OBS on Linux to a point where I can stream on it, and I'm still working on being able to edit videos comfortably.
Speaking of editing, how is your Olive?
It turns out leaving an Internet identity behind is hard MikeBruh

My username is read as "flatorte".

[deleted] posts index

pizzaboxer

Post by pizzaboxer »

Yeah... about that......
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Sakuradanceru

Post by Sakuradanceru »

Windows 10, don't plan to avoid 11 once 10 reaches EoL as I don't see all that much wrong with it. if it ain't broke don't fix it
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.