What OS are you maining?

Any discussion that doesn't fit into any of the other categories goes here.

What OS are you maining?

Windows 7 or earlier
2%
Windows 8.x
2%
Windows 10
33%
Windows 11
23%
macOS
9%
Linux
30%
FreeBSD
1%
Other
1%

Total votes: 124

yoshi

Re: What OS are you maining?

Post by yoshi »

flatrute wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:35 am You can simply first list what you do the most on your Windows machine and then look for alternatives in Linux.
The application part of my daily workflow is not a problem, as almost everything I use either has a native Linux build, can be compiled under Linux, or can run just fine with a compatibility layer. My main concern is gaming. While Proton, Lutris and Bottles have made lots of excellent strides in that department, the risks and eventual problems down the line with games I may want to play are enough to currently turn me off from using Linux on my main PC.
"Computer over? Virus equals very yes? That's not a good prize!" Aware
wisecar

Post by wisecar »

yoshi wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:59 am The application part of my daily workflow is not a problem, as almost everything I use either has a native Linux build, can be compiled under Linux, or can run just fine with a compatibility layer. My main concern is gaming. While Proton, Lutris and Bottles have made lots of excellent strides in that department, the risks and eventual problems down the line with games I may want to play are enough to currently turn me off from using Linux on my main PC.
To be fair the situation with games is improving rapidly.

With a few exceptions, the vast majority of the games I want to play run just fine on Linux. The problem I have is with things like audio interfaces etc.

That said, as much as I hate to admit it I do think Windows is in a pretty solid place lately - I've been using it with WSL for development for a while now and most of my major issues have been fixed at this point.
yoshi

Post by yoshi »

wisecar wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:42 pm To be fair the situation with games is improving rapidly.

With a few exceptions, the vast majority of the games I want to play run just fine on Linux. The problem I have is with things like audio interfaces etc.
If I had to bet, I'd say that most if not all the games I play currently would work fine under Linux. However the reason I'm turned off by it is because a lot of the stuff I run is old and I'm not sure how well that's being handled at the moment. Still, I don't doubt that everything I'd like to run game-wise on Linux I could already do.

I'll see how that's going down the road.
wisecar wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:42 pm That said, as much as I hate to admit it I do think Windows is in a pretty solid place lately - I've been using it with WSL for development for a while now and most of my major issues have been fixed at this point.
WSL is very handy for development, I can imagine. I've had a lot of issues with it in the past that turned me off from it and made me either use MSYS2 or straight up native Linux, but from what I can tell, it's been a lot better since. Though for some reason, I can't help but think about how the inclusion of WSL seems to look like a classic "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish" move from Microsoft.
"Computer over? Virus equals very yes? That's not a good prize!" Aware
Javascript

Post by Javascript »

I use Windows 10 and have no plans to switch to 11, Windows 11 seems like a mess as of know. So until i determine that Windows 11 is fine, i will not switch.
Tycho10101

Post by Tycho10101 »

What could the "other" be?
- Hello :D
levywilson

Post by levywilson »

Tycho10101 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:00 am What could the "other" be?
TempleOS
unsimp

Post by unsimp »

I try to main Linux mint and arch but they are a bitch to get working with the quest 1 so i use windows on my main pc and linux on my laptops
Heyyyyyy its un and i do random shit on the internet when im bored 3Head
My Github
sunfl0wer

Post by sunfl0wer »

I used Debian for a while, but then I wanted to try Alpine, but it wasn't that great to daily drive, so...
eb3.jpg
I don't put CDs in my computer
UserPenalties

Post by UserPenalties »

Personally, I'm right at home with Debian 11 and XFCE. It offers a sane set of default programs and GUIs so I don't have to install everything by myself, but it's still extremely flexible to me. I wasn't planning to go on about a tangent of how XFCE is the best desktop environment, but it does provide a very Windows-like user experience. And I also like having multiple desktops that I can switch to (OH BUT MY ETHREEVEM WIDNOWS MAGNER HFIAHFSDJASD).
ricardoFlick
arzumify

Post by arzumify »

MattKC wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:13 pm ITT we talk about why our OS is superior to everyone else's.

btw I use Arch
Arch user? Pathetic.

Arch is systemd.

Coreutils.

Glibc.

BLOOATTT!

I use evolutionOS BusyBox Dinit With Musl @ 88 Miles per hour!

So there, Matt!
Last edited by arzumify on Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunfl0wer

Post by sunfl0wer »

arzumify wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:25 am I use evolutionOS BusyBox Dinit With Musl @ 88 Miles an hour!
By the way, how's your experience with BusyBox? Because I just can't use distros with it, there's not enough features in it's coreutils implementation for me. I used lots of distros, but eventually stuck with Debian, because it just works.
Last edited by sunfl0wer on Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't put CDs in my computer
arzumify

Post by arzumify »

sunfl0wer wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:00 pm *per hour

By the way, how's your experience with BusyBox? Because I just can't use distros with it, there's not enough features in it's coreutils implementation for me. I used lots of distros, but eventually stuck with Debian, because it just works.
128 Kilometers an hour!

Really though busybox is fine, never experienced any issues
Metabloxer

Post by Metabloxer »

I currently have Windows 10, since I grew up with windows. Windows pisses me off sometimes, and I am not impressed with 11, so I do also have Debian installed to a second hard drive to play with. On the othere hand, I lack a lot of Linux experience, and things I can do easily on Windows I don't even know how to learn on Ubuntu.
andreizabest

Post by andreizabest »

Still maining Windows 10 but I am currently dual booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu on my laptop for my Operating System and System development class for C and I've got like 4 USB drives for free and I'm putting Kali Linux on one to run, maybe I'll get into hacking and pen testing.
NoCaps

Post by NoCaps »

I still use windows 7. I don't do much that requires the latest versions of everything so I just don't see the point in upgrading. Also: Aero. It looks cool and I'm keeping it forever.
Eighty

Post by Eighty »

I’ve been running Ubuntu as my main desktop environment since 2018. Before that was macOS. I’m still on 20.04 for my personal machine, but I got a 22.04 laptop from work.

I really like Linux on the desktop. I haven’t had any major problems, except for, you know, a few times when I absolutely fucked everything but I’ve internalized enough self loathing to not blame Linux for those.

Linux on the laptop though. Hoo boy. Don’t jiggle the monitor cable, or it’ll lock up. Don’t let it suspend, or it’ll lock up. Don't turn it on and close the lid before it’s done booting, even though there’s an external monitor, or it’ll lock up. And when I say “it’ll lock up” I mean “it’ll lock up 60% of the time.”

Also, lately, don’t try to shut it down, or it’ll lock up. That’s a fun one.

Gonna end up learning a lot about graphics drivers, power states, and the drm module before this is done.
arzumify

Post by arzumify »

...What?

It sounds like you have some serious driver problems

Or... it's just ubuntu being ubuntu

Here's a tip: don't use ubuntu
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

Laptop hardware is always the toughest to support. For various reasons, laptops just have way more custom hardware in them, while desktops are all pretty much the same. And unless those laptops go out of their way to support Linux (or happen to be popular with Linux users), it's fairly common to have some kind of issue. Hackintosh has the same problem naturally.

I know no one likes hearing about Arch, but I have had far less hardware issues with Arch than Ubuntu, I think because Arch has newer packages/drivers. But it's an ongoing problem for Linux, unless you use a laptop that's well supported (from memory, mostly Thinkpads and Dell Inspirons).
displaceAerospace

Post by displaceAerospace »

MattKC wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:57 am Laptop hardware is always the toughest to support. For various reasons, laptops just have way more custom hardware in them, while desktops are all pretty much the same. And unless those laptops go out of their way to support Linux (or happen to be popular with Linux users), it's fairly common to have some kind of issue. Hackintosh has the same problem naturally.

I know no one likes hearing about Arch, but I have had far less hardware issues with Arch than Ubuntu, I think because Arch has newer packages/drivers. But it's an ongoing problem for Linux, unless you use a laptop that's well supported (from memory, mostly Thinkpads and Dell Inspirons).
ThatsHot Ain't that the truth! I'm getting real fed up with all the stupid things my install of Windows 11 is doing. Unfortunately, my laptop has a bunch of gamer gunk and Linux support is lackluster. Maybe in the future when I'll be able to afford a framework16.
boreal

Post by boreal »

Code: Select all

#####
                                                                #######
                   #                                            ##O#O##
  ######          ###                                           #VVVVV#
    ##             #                                          ##  VVV  ##
    ##         ###    ### ####   ###    ###  ##### #####     #          ##
    ##        #  ##    ###    ##  ##     ##    ##   ##      #            ##
    ##       #   ##    ##     ##  ##     ##      ###        #            ###