How Much Should I Spend On A Soldering Kit?

Any discussion that doesn't fit into any of the other categories goes here.
OisinB

How Much Should I Spend On A Soldering Kit?

Post by OisinB »

I have done some repairs/touchups on consoles with just my iFixit kit (a couple of disc drive replacements on PS3s) but I would like to try my hand at soldering as I would like to replace the HDMI port on my friend's PS4. It seems that there are many rework stations that are quite cheap, but are they any good? What calibre of rework station do I need for console repair? Thanks in advance!
MattKC
Site Admin

Re: How Much Should I Spend On A Soldering Kit?

Post by MattKC »

I'm far from an expert, but I started with a soldering iron that was fairly cheap - about 30 AUD. I now use one that's a lot more expensive (close to 100 USD), and it's definitely a lot better, but I got by perfectly fine with the cheaper one until I was ready to upgrade.

For reference, my current (more expensive) kit is a YIHUA 862BD+.
andreizabest

Post by andreizabest »

It depends how much you're willing to spend. The one mattkc linked (which isn't in stock at amazon but is available on aliexpress) is actually decent value primarily because it also serves the purpose of a hot air station as well all for 100$. Some of if not the best soldering stations are made by hakko and for hot air stations by quick. Louis Rossmann the tech repair god uses them. You can do the job with cheaper stuff but it is going to be more of a hassle.

The HAKO FX-951 240$
The Quick 861DW hot air rework station is 290$

Obviously they're really expensive so given that you're a beginner the Yihua 872BD+ or similar which can be found on aliexpress for around 100-120$ should be good and should last you a while before you'd even consider upgrading. Obviously this assummes that you're going to use it for other repairs and projects in the future and not just for a one-off repair.

What I also recommend is practicing soldering before going in and doing the job since the pins of the HDMI ports are really small so it's best to avoid any kind misplacement or bridging of the pins due to too much solder.
Mikmoomamimocki

Post by Mikmoomamimocki »

I’m using a cheap non-brand one that I got in a kit, which is stupid and probably dangerous, but I don’t really solder that much (because I suck at it).
MattKC wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:42 am I'm far from an expert, but I started with a soldering iron that was fairly cheap - about 30 AUD.
Do you recall the name of this one? ~20 dollars in freedom coins seems pretty good for me, if it doesn’t explode.
arthurDance Mikmoomamimocki arthurDance

can’t spell programmer without pro gamer
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

Mikmoomamimocki wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:49 am Do you recall the name of this one? ~20 dollars in freedom coins seems pretty good for me, if it doesn’t explode.
It was this one (looks like inflation has brought the price up a bit in the last few years). You can probably see it in most of my soldering videos prior to June 2021. Not sure if it sells in the US though (or how it would be branded if it is), I bought it from a store mostly on a salesperson's recommendation.