Welcome! I made a forum.

Any site-related news or announcements will get posted here
MattKC
Site Admin

Welcome! I made a forum.

Post by MattKC »

Hey everyone! As you can see, I've set up a forum.

...Okay, I know what you're thinking. Why would I set up an internet forum in the year 2022? As a content creator, shouldn't I just direct people towards a Discord server or subreddit like everyone else?

Honestly, I miss forums. Some of my best memories from the Olde Internet were on tech forums that have now gone the way of the Internet Wayback Machine. I know that plenty of forums are still around, but in general they've very much lost their prevalence to the aforementioned Discord servers and subreddits, which I think is kind of a shame.

I'm not really a fan of "public Discord servers". 99% of the time you join them, mute them, and never look at them again, because whatever conversation/group of people that does talk there is something you were never a part of; you just happened to suddenly appear in the middle of it. Ultimately I feel like instant messaging, while great for a small group of friends, isn't really a good way for hundreds or thousands of people to talk to each other.

Subreddits are also a little too "social media" for me. I've grown tired of ~algorithms~ choosing what I do or don't get to see - algorithms written by massive corporations whose primary goal is to keep you on the platform and seeing ads for as long as possible. Subreddits are also generally very insular, having to focus on a single topic so they don't get disorganized, with very few shared users between them. A forum, on the other hand, can be much broader in scope with the same userbase, allowing for much more cross-pollination between ideas and subcommunities.

While undoubtedly some of my fondness for forums is nostalgia, for a while I've also been wanting a place where I (and others) can post and discuss things like tech/game modding research/discoveries in a way that's well-organized (unlike a subreddit), easy to write for (unlike a blog/wiki), and doesn't disappear up the endless scroll of an instant messenger like Discord, hidden away from public view and search engines. I've been in too many situations where I've struggled to find information about modding a game by searching for it, eventually finding a Discord invite link in the middle of nowhere containing a modding community for it, only to join and still have no real idea what they've actually done or are working on, because to figure that out I have to scroll through months of them Just Chatting™ to find any of their actual work.

So I've set up a forum. While it is on my website and (partially) named after me (no, this forum is not for residents of Kansas City), I actually don't want it to predominantly be about me and what I'm interested in. Obviously the community here will originate from my audience and probably initially springboard off topics in my videos/streams (hence the LEGO Island section), but my ultimate goal is for this to be the kind of place that all sorts of people can join and talk about hacking and modding games/tech. Obviously it won't be for everyone - forums didn't fall out of favor for no reason, and the convenience of Discord servers and subreddits is undeniable - but for people interested in joining/fostering a community of curious and enthusiastic modders, I highly encourage you to join and stick around.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy what's to come!
TinglesMagicWords

Re: Welcome! I made a forum.

Post by TinglesMagicWords »

I look forward to coming here with the wayback machine in 2042 when I am looking for that really obscure Lego Island mod that used to be hosted on other community mod platforms that ultimately have died, but someone attached it to a forum post here because they had it on their hard drive for 10 years prior.
Bam

Post by Bam »

catJAM catJAM catJAM catJAM catJAM catJAM catJAM catJAM catJAM catJAM catJAM catJAM catJAM catJAM
ImPurpl3

Post by ImPurpl3 »

cool! excited to see how it turns out
lol_xD

Post by lol_xD »

You say you just made a forum but there's posts from August! Which one is it, Matt?
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

lol_xD wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:58 am You say you just made a forum but there's posts from August! Which one is it, Matt?
Heh, wanting somewhere to share those earlier posts/discoveries was my inspiration for setting this place up, it just took a while to fully decide what I wanted the rest of the site to be.
pancake

Post by pancake »

we're goin back in time bois
NOT NickyGoodSumPrince
N1GHTMAR3

Awesome!

Post by N1GHTMAR3 »

Hell yeah, forums have always scratched that itch that Discord and Reddit can't. Excited to see what comes of this!
advil0

Post by advil0 »

Using phpBB even! Takes me back.
SpeedySoda

Post by SpeedySoda »

🎵 Let's do the time warp again 🎵
Shaddow798

Post by Shaddow798 »

Can't wait for more people to join this forum.
I'm really bad at english, im also clinically tired.
Ade23

Post by Ade23 »

You did? Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap
flatrute

Post by flatrute »

Shaddow798 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:25 am Can't wait for more people to join this forum.
...and at least one more person has joined the forum!
It turns out leaving an Internet identity behind is hard MikeBruh

My username is read as "flatorte".

[deleted] posts index

Shaddow798

Post by Shaddow798 »

flatrute wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:16 pm
Shaddow798 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:25 am Can't wait for more people to join this forum.
...and at least one more person has joined the forum!
technically correct.. wait no just objectively correct.
Mikmoomamimocki

Post by Mikmoomamimocki »

Heck yeah! Forums are sick!

Also, I really like the channel! I know next to nothing about electronics, but I got a dead Game Boy Pocket from Ebay and fixed it! Thanks for all your videos.
arthurDance Mikmoomamimocki arthurDance

can’t spell programmer without pro gamer
beekats

Post by beekats »

Love forums, can't wait to see how this goes :^]
The worst 3DS nerd
Sooſibros

Post by Sooſibros »

I applaud this fine decision Clueless Clap

Forums are, in fact, the only thing keeping me sane on the modern web.
CoffeeMan

Post by CoffeeMan »

yay forums!
Shaddow798

Post by Shaddow798 »

Welcome to everyone from the live stream.
ashifter

Post by ashifter »

Just registered, thanks for opening the board. This is really nostalgic. It's refreshing to go somewhere other than Discord like you mentioned :)
kcSmile
i am not the guy in my profile picture (Unfortunately)