Watching an older video and decided to try something

While MattKC videos aren't the only topic of discussion here, they are probably the primary way people found out about this place, so here's a forum for discussing them.
HayHay

Watching an older video and decided to try something

Post by HayHay »

I was watching the "Failed Projects" video and saw at this timestamp where Google failed to find any references to the specific part. Out of curiosity, used ChatGPT and it actually responded!
SCR-20230112-sel.png
Actually kinda surprised it was able to pull something up
MattKC
Site Admin

Re: Watching an older video and decided to try something

Post by MattKC »

Heh that's interesting that it said something, but I'm fairly sure it's just making something up to match the query. After all, that component from tthe video isn't a capacitor, it's a transformer, which it doesn't seem to have recognized.

Semi-related, since that part appears to be unique to that model CRT, making replacements hard to procure, I think the best hope for that CRT might be something like this - an open source board that can drive theoretically any tube:
Looks like it's still a work in progress, but once it's ready I might give it a shot: https://github.com/tdaede/td-crt
HayHay

Post by HayHay »

MattKC wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:53 pm Heh that's interesting that it said something, but I'm fairly sure it's just making something up to match the query
Honestly sounds about right, especially considering ChatGPT tends to do that the more technical you get. Often times it's just outright incorrect, but it's still pretty sick
The open source board looks really cool though. I'm not too familiar when it comes to CRTs, but I can definitely see the benefit in having a project such as this. Another attempt at a CRT repair down the road with something like this would be fun to watch!
flatrute

Post by flatrute »

MattKC wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:53 pm Semi-related, since that part appears to be unique to that model CRT, making replacements hard to procure, I think the best hope for that CRT might be something like this - an open source board that can drive theoretically any tube:
Everyone here keeps talking about "AI" and "IoT" but this and other old computer stuffs are what I actually want to do instead when I attended college Sadge
It turns out leaving an Internet identity behind is hard MikeBruh

My username is read as "flatorte".

[deleted] posts index

nugg3t

Post by nugg3t »

MattKC wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:53 pm Heh that's interesting that it said something, but I'm fairly sure it's just making something up to match the query. After all, that component from tthe video isn't a capacitor, it's a transformer, which it doesn't seem to have recognized.

Semi-related, since that part appears to be unique to that model CRT, making replacements hard to procure, I think the best hope for that CRT might be something like this - an open source board that can drive theoretically any tube:
Looks like it's still a work in progress, but once it's ready I might give it a shot: https://github.com/tdaede/td-crt
My brain exploded trying to comprehend the video.
If you reply, you INSTANTLY own a 20 inch Symphonic CRT TV. 8-) 8-)
"im back" -me, 11/23/23, 12:46am cst