Games with shocking system requirements.

Any discussion that doesn't fit into any of the other categories goes here.
Shaddow798

Games with shocking system requirements.

Post by Shaddow798 »

Hello everyone, I saw today that the newest Harry Hotter game (Hogwarts Legacy) was now pre orderable on steam and looked at the system requirements and was honestly shocked about how high they were. But its a good thing they are likey going for good graphics)
The link to the steam store page is https://store.steampowered.com/app/9900 ... ts_Legacy/
bogwartes.png
But this is higher then flightsim 2020 https://store.steampowered.com/app/1250 ... y_Edition/
boatsim.png
I understand that both these games will run fine bellow the system requirements.
But it just seems strange that this game "supports" harddrives like is it just going to say fuck you if you try to play it off disk that spins even if its 10k rpm.
And hogwarts legacy thinks that you a high end pc from 2018 or newer to play it.
I'm really bad at english, im also clinically tired.
nugg3t

Re: Games with shocking system requirements.

Post by nugg3t »

Not a game, but Windows 11.
If you reply, you INSTANTLY own a 20 inch Symphonic CRT TV. 8-) 8-)
"im back" -me, 11/23/23, 12:46am cst
Shaddow798

Post by Shaddow798 »

nugg3t wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:43 am Not a game, but Windows 11.
Yeah the fact you need a 8th gen system is so stupid. Like i understand if they wanted all 11pc to be uefi with secureboot and tpm 2.0.
but i have 6th gen systems that meet those requirements.
flatrute

Post by flatrute »

These ones are not really games but there are two visual novels about girls love and Esperanto I played that claimed to require Windows 7 and above yet I can run them on Windows 2000 VM and KernelEx patched Windows 98 Japanese just fine.
It turns out leaving an Internet identity behind is hard MikeBruh

My username is read as "flatorte".

[deleted] posts index

Shaddow798

Post by Shaddow798 »

flatrute wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:32 am These ones are not really games but there are two visual novels about girls love and Esperanto I played that claimed to require Windows 7 and above yet I can run them on Windows 2000 VM and KernelEx patched Windows 98 Japanese just fine.
I feel like thats the same thing with some games that claim you need windows 10 or newer when they likey would run on 7 or 8 with some effort. and maybe even vista.

yes if the game is dx12 or uwp then it wont work i get that.
maxmoon

Post by maxmoon »

Shaddow798 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:20 am Harry Hotter game (Hogwarts Legacy)
[conspiracytheory]
Sometimes it's pretty obvious that video games mine Bitcoins in the background. :twisted:

They were not the first ones. The first time I played Diablo III, my graphic card pulled like 120 Watts permanently, even if the graphics were no new-gen-crap (it looked like PS2).

And there is no other explanation than this or it is just bad programmed.
[/conspiracytheory]
andreizabest

Post by andreizabest »

That's because of consoles though. They're significantly more powerful than the PS4 and Xbox One. And any multi platform game developer will aim their games at that and as a result similar hardware requirements on PC as well. With direct storage soon there will be games that will require a ssd. I mean the PS5 with it's PCIE 4.0 SSD and kraken compression can reach a maximum speed of 22 GB/s according to Cerny if the data compresses particularly well.
HayHay

Post by HayHay »

Not the most egregious system requirements, but this is just an outright lie (Cyberpunk)
CP77_NG_SystemRequirements_16x9_EN_dfot1nt1oa9kjp3u.png
kana85hz2c

Post by kana85hz2c »

スクリーンショット 2023-01-30 005956.png
Forspoken has some interesting recommended specs...
andreizabest

Post by andreizabest »

kana85hz2c wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:00 pm スクリーンショット 2023-01-30 005956.png
Forspoken has some interesting recommended specs...
That does seem normal for newer games. Although it is weird seeing a 1060 now being the minimum requirement for games now when not too long ago it and other cards like the 480/580 were actually good and often were the recommended requirements. But 7 years have passed since and we've got a new console generation now so we can only go up from here.
kana85hz2c

Post by kana85hz2c »

andreizabest wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:23 am That does seem normal for newer games. Although it is weird seeing a 1060 now being the minimum requirement for games now when not too long ago it and other cards like the 480/580 were actually good and often were the recommended requirements. But 7 years have passed since and we've got a new console generation now so we can only go up from here.
I would 100% agree with you if the recommended specs were to at least get 60fps, but it claims to be only 1440p/30fps which I'm not too sure about...
JohnSkeleton

Post by JohnSkeleton »

image.png
The requirements themselves aren't shocking so this may be mildly off-topic I just think the sound card thing is funny.
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

This isn't so much shocking as it is inaccurately high: Sonic Mania's listed requirements, while not outlandish, seemingly target a roughly 2007-2009 era PC:
Screenshot_20230304_121525.png

However as we've seen with the recent ports stemming from the decomp, it can quite happily run on much older MS-DOS/Windows 98 era computers: