Trying to Access Potentially Corrupt Images

If you need help with something, this is the place to be.
MidnightLover610

Trying to Access Potentially Corrupt Images

Post by MidnightLover610 »

For some context, I've recently been trying to access the files to the defunct mobile game "Spider-man Unlimited" specifically to try and access and preserve the character artwork as since the servers have gone offline they've become unavailable to the general public.

For some context you can still play the game via APKs but all online capabilities are unavailable. Some images in the game can be accessed just by extracting them including the banners of the different characters. However the source artwork that the banners are cropped from can not be found in their entirety.

Essentially the files are in the APK but can not be viewed despite claiming to be PNGs. When opened in Notepad the files claim to be PVRs but i cant seem to open them as PVRs either. I was wondering if I could get any advice because when running the game in an emulator all the textures appear as expected when viewing characters. I just can't seem to access the files for the full art and that sucks when most hasn't been uploaded by the creators or is stuck with the company unable to be released. Artwork for characters with no other pieces to be used to represent them. Any advice on how to open these would be greatly appreciated
Apologises for the lack of images, i haven't quite figured out how to add them yet
Attachments
Baner_noir.png
hd.JPG
MattKC
Site Admin

Re: Trying to Access Potentially Corrupt Images

Post by MattKC »

From the ASCII you've sent, it certainly seems to match the header described in this "legacy" PVR specification, so I think you're definitely close.

ASCII is not an ideal way of interpreting binary data, you'd be better off using a hex editor. Regardless, according to that specification, the first 4 bytes are the header size, and the ASCII character '4' corresponds to the decimal number 52 (again, this would be more evident in a hex editor), which according to that specification, indicates PVR version 2.

Sounds like you need something that can open legacy PVR version 2 specifically. If you tried other things, perhaps they only supported version 1, or only supported whatever "non-legacy" PVR might be.

That's as much as I can get from this, hope it helps.
flatrute

Re: Trying to Access Potentially Corrupt Images

Post by flatrute »

MattKC wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:55 am Sounds like you need something that can open legacy PVR version 2 specifically. If you tried other things, perhaps they only supported version 1, or only supported whatever "non-legacy" PVR might be.
Or perhaps someone can code one from scratch 5Head
It turns out leaving an Internet identity behind is hard MikeBruh

My username is read as "flatorte".

[deleted] posts index