Tempermental PS3 drive bay

Any discussion of hardware that doesn't fit into any other category goes here.
acidiclight

Tempermental PS3 drive bay

Post by acidiclight »

Rearranged my desk after installing a dual-monitor mount. Placed my PS3 horizontally underneath one of my monitors. Turned it on only to see this screen.
Oh. Well. Shit.png
I have an SSD in there so it's not like the drive's dead. I think it's just loose, as this has happened before. Pushing on the side of the console where the drive bay is seemed to fix it the last time it happened. This is unlucky though... D:
acidic light

I'm a blind game developer. I write code because it's fun.
acidiclight

Re: Tempermental PS3 drive bay

Post by acidiclight »

Update: Yep. Really tempermental, but...
FUCKING PHEW.png
Unplugged it, used a debit card to pry off the drive bay cover, pushed my finger on the drive, put the cover back on, plug it back in... and it booted right up. About to try placing it horizontally again, and see if it doesn't do the same thing again.
acidic light

acidiclight

Post by acidiclight »

Alrighty! Just put it horizontally on my desk, rebooted, and it still worked. It's pretty hot in my room and webMAN was running the CPU fan extremely high for a good 5 minutes straight. Do you guys think that maybe I triggered some overheat protection on my SSD that prevented the console from seeing it?
acidic light

MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

Hmm if there is such an overheat protection, I could certainly believe that being the problem. If I've learned anything from my Adventures With The PS3, it's that they do tend to run quite hot. Also be sure to check the really basic stuff, like maybe using some isopropyl alcohol to clean the SATA connectors.
acidiclight

Post by acidiclight »

Luckily after I posted the last update, it hasn't happen since. Strangely, both this incident and the one from a year ago involved my PS3 being moved around while my room was hot.
acidic light