Cursed PS3 boot screen

Any discussion of software that doesn't fit into any category goes here.
acidiclight

Cursed PS3 boot screen

Post by acidiclight »

In the recent MattKC stream I posted my first ever superchat in my life. Of all things I could've said, I said that I modded my PS3 to replace the boot screen with a PS1 one and the sound with an Xbox 360 boot sound. And here's a video of it.

Haven't decided if this'll be my final cursed PS3 bootscreen mod, but my previous one was a skull and crossbones + the GameCube sound. Would love to hear ideas of other things I could mix together.

For the uninitiated, this requires a CFW'd PS3, though I think you can also do it with HEN? Either way, I'm using Ultimate Toolbox to do it. It has a whole bunch of preset coldboot screens and sounds, and a bunch of other neat XMB customizations.
acidic light

I'm a blind game developer. I write code because it's fun.
MattKC
Site Admin

Re: Cursed PS3 boot screen

Post by MattKC »

Oh my god, that's hilarious. The completely mismatched video/sound particularly is what makes it.

I mentioned on stream that I changed my 360 boot animation to the original pre-Kinect one, which I prefer. Since you can't downgrade a 360's OS, even modded, it's cool to at least be able to preserve those older animations in that way (now when's that Blades dash resurrection coming out...)

I'm guessing with this PS3 mod, you could also resurrect the original boot sound too? I never had a PS3 back then and it'd be cool to hear that play on hardware.
acidiclight

Post by acidiclight »

MattKC wrote: I'm guessing with this PS3 mod, you could also resurrect the original boot sound too? I never had a PS3 back then and it'd be cool to hear that play on hardware.
Yes, yes you can! In fact, this exact same PS3, at one point, had the official boot animation and sound on it. You mentioned on stream that the Xbox 360 startup is just an executable on the NAND, and that's sort of the same for PS3. It's not necessarily an executable, but it's a file on the NAND flash that you can replace. That's basically what Ultimate Toolbox is doing behind the scenes, but most CFWs will let you write to NAND using FTP. If you can find the right files online, you can bring back the original PS3 startup. Ultimate Toolbox may even have it in the list, but I haven't looked. Might look now though...
acidic light

Hanzo

Post by Hanzo »

MattKC wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:35 am Oh my god, that's hilarious. The completely mismatched video/sound particularly is what makes it.

I mentioned on stream that I changed my 360 boot animation to the original pre-Kinect one, which I prefer. Since you can't downgrade a 360's OS, even modded, it's cool to at least be able to preserve those older animations in that way (now when's that Blades dash resurrection coming out...)

I'm guessing with this PS3 mod, you could also resurrect the original boot sound too? I never had a PS3 back then and it'd be cool to hear that play on hardware.
It is actually possible to restore the old PS3 bootscreen and gameboot. I’ve got it set up on my jailbroken PS3, it’s super neat.

Here’s a video demonstrating it.
My life is the authentic stereotypical nerd experience. catJAM
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

...brb bouta set that up arthurDance
acidiclight

Post by acidiclight »

Yep... I had the gameboot at one point too. Accidentally patched over it though, now my PS3 plays a gameboot based on the console whose game I'm launching. Modern PS3 games get a generic PS logo, Ps2 ones get the PS2 "Sony Computer Entertainment" logo, etc. I don't like it but can't figure out how to get rid of that feature... maybe it's a setting in Ultimate Toolbox.

Edit: Completely random thought... and this might be weird... but what if someone made a custom PS3 coldboot out of the MattKC intro... hmmm...
acidic light

Hanzo

Post by Hanzo »

That would be both hilarious and cool at the same time.
My life is the authentic stereotypical nerd experience. catJAM
acidiclight

Post by acidiclight »

Made another one :)

acidic light

MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

acidiclight wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:55 pm Made another one :)

LOL incredible KEKW
Shaddow798

Post by Shaddow798 »

I feel like i need to see a you wouldn't download a car boot screen
I'm really bad at english, im also clinically tired.
maxmoon

Post by maxmoon »

Your first ps3 boot screen disturbed me a little bit, because I I see PSX I NEED to hear it, too. But the second one with the FBI warning was actually funny :D
damy

Post by damy »

shitty quality but it makes it at least 1.1x times funnier (i guess)