What are you working on?

Any discussion of software that doesn't fit into any category goes here.
Wam

What are you working on?

Post by Wam »

Thought I'd start a general thread for people's ongoing software projects because that seems chill. Show me what you've been writing!

To start, I've been slowly but surely porting the 2013 Sonic 1/2 Decompliations to C#, partially to dig into how the engine works, partially so they can run on Windows Phone 7. (Images feat. my HTC HD2)

Large photos:
Ramen2X

Re: What are you working on?

Post by Ramen2X »

Wam wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:44 am Thought I'd start a general thread for people's ongoing software projects because that seems chill. Show me what you've been writing!

To start, I've been slowly but surely porting the 2013 Sonic 1/2 Decompliations to C#, partially to dig into how the engine works, partially so they can run on Windows Phone 7. (Images feat. my HTC HD2)

Large photos:
That's sick, are you planning to do RSDKv5/Mania as well? I'd love to keep an eye on the progress as time goes on.
acidiclight

Post by acidiclight »

I'm actually working on a few projects myself. I already posted about Airflow on another thread here: viewtopic.php?t=70

But I'm also working on two up-coming Steam games, one of them is my own and it's called Socially Distant. The other is with a team and it's called Restitched. You'll just have to google 'em though. :)
acidic light

I'm a blind game developer. I write code because it's fun.
casadiella

Post by casadiella »

acidiclight wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:00 am I'm actually working on a few projects myself. I already posted about Airflow on another thread here: viewtopic.php?t=70

But I'm also working on two up-coming Steam games, one of them is my own and it's called Socially Distant. The other is with a team and it's called Restitched. You'll just have to google 'em though. :)
thats insane! im so hyped for restitched man i used to love littlebigplanet back in the day. were you always a part of trixel creative or did you just apply to work on restitched?
acidiclight

Post by acidiclight »

casadiella wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:41 am
acidiclight wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:00 am I'm actually working on a few projects myself. I already posted about Airflow on another thread here: viewtopic.php?t=70

thats insane! im so hyped for restitched man i used to love littlebigplanet back in the day. were you always a part of trixel creative or did you just apply to work on restitched?
I applied and joined in mid 2021 and became lead programmer in mid 2022. :)
acidic light

I'm a blind game developer. I write code because it's fun.
maxmoon

Post by maxmoon »

Wam wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:44 am Thought I'd start a general thread for people's ongoing software projects because that seems chill. Show me what you've been writing!

Large photos:
C# and Windows Phone?

Please don't take this as an insult, but why would you do this? I am really curious, because this is a little bit confusing to me.
Wam

Post by Wam »

maxmoon wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:32 pm C# and Windows Phone?

Please don't take this as an insult, but why would you do this? I am really curious, because this is a little bit confusing to me.
Windows Phone is cool to me, the underdog platform that never really took off and such.

C#? Well it's a language I love but it's also literally the only language you can officially use on Windows Phones of this vintage. C/C++ would only be enabled in Windows Phone 8 and later.
qzip

Post by qzip »

I'm trying to reverse engineer the YouTube SWF (Player) so I can play videos on it without using RTMPE.
Aware
Njmcq

Post by Njmcq »

I spent yesterday recapping an Apple eMac from 2004. My first time doing it, and it wasn't at all forgiving. But I eventually got it done.

Now I have an iMac G5 in storage which also requires new caps, so I'll have to purchase some more from overseas and go through the tedious process of disassembling the entire thing, recapping it, and reassembling it all over again. The iFixit guide does NOT look fun.
HayHay

Post by HayHay »

Been using Dropbox Paper for notes at uni, but I really don't feel like paying 120$ for Dropbox anymore (primarily for storage, but don't like being locked in their "ecosystem"). OneDrive (30$ for 1tb with student discount) doesn't have anything like Paper except for Word online, but I didn't want something that bloated either. Markdown type formatting is best imo, so I've begun working on my own alternative to Dropbox Paper.

I'm not the best at UI/UX, but I think this looks pretty good for only having spent a day on it thus far. Using NextJS + Tailwind/DaisyUI for the project
SCR-20230119-na2.png
jdev082

Post by jdev082 »

would a web browser be on topic here?
flatrute

Post by flatrute »

jdev082 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:49 am would a web browser be on topic here?
Are you coding a browser frontend? If so, yes.
It turns out leaving an Internet identity behind is hard MikeBruh

My username is read as "flatorte".

[deleted] posts index

jdev082

Post by jdev082 »

I am working on the Catalyst web browser https://github.com/jdev082/Catalyst latest version is v3.3.4
flatrute

Post by flatrute »

jdev082 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:57 am I am working on the Catalyst web browser https://github.com/jdev082/Catalyst latest version is v3.3.4
Nice. I suggest you learning some lower level programming languages like C/C++ or Rust. Maybe you can build a Firefox or Chrome competitor one day Thuink

[deleted] posts index

maxmoon

Post by maxmoon »

Wam wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:34 am Windows Phone is cool to me, the underdog platform that never really took off and such.
Have you ever tried Linux before? Believe me, it will change your life...
Wam

Post by Wam »

maxmoon wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:01 pm Have you ever tried Linux before? Believe me, it will change your life...
uhh... yes? I don't know what that has to do with Windows Phone lol
flatrute

Post by flatrute »

Wam wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:30 pm uhh... yes? I don't know what that has to do with Windows Phone lol
Yeah Linux is not always "cooler". It is just a kernel after all.

[deleted] posts index

maxmoon

Post by maxmoon »

flatrute wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:06 am Yeah Linux is not always "cooler". It is just a kernel after all.
Wait until you figure out what kind of beautiful things they put on the kernel.
flatrute

Post by flatrute »

maxmoon wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:38 am Wait until you figure out what kind of beautiful things they put on the kernel.
I mean there are a lot of people working on the kernel so there bounds to be good code coming from it. Still, it is weird to derail from the Windows Phone being an underrated platform subject. It is like when I (might have) talked about how Nokia N9 basically did things similar to iPhone 10 about a whole decade ago and someone jumped in and said "yeah but Android is an awesome OS" MikeBruh

[deleted] posts index

maxmoon

Post by maxmoon »

flatrute wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:04 pm It is like when I (might have) talked about how Nokia N9 basically did things similar to iPhone 10 about a whole decade ago and someone jumped in and said "yeah but Android is an awesome OS"
I can't follow this comparison, because the thread owner mentioned something about understanding the engine and because she wrote about C# and Windows, I just thought she is limited to Microsofts World. And if the limitation is gone, it can be an eye opener, because Windows can often just hinder your work.

It's like trying to install a usable operating system on an iPhone, instead of just using a custom firmware for Android [trying to get your comparison in]. But I think I am understanding what's this all about. It is about the challenging task to run something on an old, closed or even unused platform, even if not many could use it (at least I think Windows phone users are really rare).

btw. Wam! How is it going with this project?