HDMI Video Capture - USB Capture Card

If you have a lot to say about something and feel like writing an Effort Post™ about it, post it here!
CrabHead

HDMI Video Capture - USB Capture Card

Post by CrabHead »

Introduction
I actually planned it to be a Splinter Cell: Double Agent review but it just evolved suddenly to a full fledged video so yeah
The worst thing about capture cards, is the price. I'll be honest, i'm a resonable man and there is no way im spending 800zł for some crappy capture card that i will use 1 time in the entire year. Not worth it. But, there exists an alternative. Chinese made crap! There's so much of it and it's so cheap!!! For just 10 bucks i can have 4k 30hz(sadly) on my computer. However everyone knows the quality of those products but, the capture card i bought meets more than the eye.

Specifications:
Maximum input resolution: 3840 x 2160p (4K) @ 30Hz
Maximum output resolution: 1920 x 1080p (FHD) @ 30Hz
Support 8/10/12 bit color depth,
Output video format: YUV JPEG
Audio format: L-PCM
Supports standard: USB 3.0
Supported systems: Windows, MacOS, Linux
Power supply: 0.4A / 5V DC
Operating temperature: -10 to 55 degrees celcius
Dimensions: 63mm x 28mm x 13mm (L/W/H)
Weight: 21.4g

Good things
It's suprisingly usable. For testing i used Xbox 360 since it's the only HD console that i have. Played Burnout Revenge on it and it worked well, even if it (the game) was running in 60 fps. I also tried OG Xbox titles and ALSO I recently started playing Splinter Cell Double Agent, a game that has a 30 fps limit, and it works fantastically. I didn't measure input lag or anything, but everything feels smooth so take that as you will. I'll attach some footage of those games below.

Bad things
Of course, it has it's downsides. First, the obvious, 30Hz limit. Second, the image quality could be a little better. But thats a product for 10$ so can't really complain that much. Third, It has screen tearing, a lot of it. You can especially see that in the 2nd video.

Conclusion
This is good. That's all i can say. Does the job pretty well and for a good price! Of course it ain't perfect but for me? It'll do.
KEKW Goin' Flipmode!
andreizabest

Re: HDMI Video Capture - USB Capture Card

Post by andreizabest »

I got an Avermedia LGP Lite for 9.30£ or so of eBay which is a pretty good capture card with pass through and headphone jack as well meaning that I don't need a monitor with speakers. It only records up to 1080p30 but has 1080p60 passthrough. It's perfect for my xbox one, 360 and wii. I think it's worth looking to see if you can find on the used market a capture card for a decent price main names to look out for are avermedia and elgato since at least mine doesn't have the pitfalls of the capture card you mentioned.

I do agree that capture cards are way too overpriced though. 150$ and most of the time it doesn't even do encoding, but at least they're not needed for modern consoles anymore since they have built in capture, except for *ahem* nintendo *ahem*.
CrabHead

Re: HDMI Video Capture - USB Capture Card

Post by CrabHead »

"It only records up to 1080p30 but has 1080p60 passthrough"
It's the same with the chinese made capture card. Glad someone acknowledges the capture cards being overpriced
KEKW Goin' Flipmode!