Short-Circuited XBox360 Controller

If you need help with something, this is the place to be.
LordOAditionalPylons

Short-Circuited XBox360 Controller

Post by LordOAditionalPylons »

First off, hello everyone, I hope this post finds you well.

TL;DR:

Does anyone know how to fix a XBox 360 wireless controller that I think is short-circuited?

Long story:

Sooooo, I purchased a XBox 360E 2013 BlackFriday for $99, and I was playing a lot of games back then and had a lot of fun. The original 360E came with a model 1460 controller, and I bought one extra, model 1403 Camo, and was gifted a regular black model 1403, which had a sticky Home button. After a while, I stopped playing on the 360 due to reasons but I kept all of the stuff, games, console, controllers and I kept using the camo controller for games on PC. The model 1460 worked fine for couple of years, got packed and put into a storage container, then until recent years (~2018) I found out that, it will drain the entire 2 AA batteries within a day while not on. I knew it might be a short-circuit but since I had a 1403 that worked well, I never bothered looking into it.

Winding back to now, for the last couple of days, I was going back to play Forza Motorsports 3 and 4 and trying to 100% them on the old 360E, and because I played too much games using the camo 1403, the stick rubber were almost gone due to wear and tear so I was wondering, wouldn't it be nice if I can switch the rubber from the other controllers onto the 1403 camo and meanwhile, I could clean them and maybe I can have 3 working controllers. All cleaning and reassmblying was all good and sweet, I assembled the 1460 first, and then was doing the 2 1403s, then I found out that the 1460 was VERY hot, I immediately confirmed that it was short circuitting and the batteries were just burning, so I took the batteries out and was looking for solutions.

But unfortunately, my limited skill on this level of repair stopped me doing anything useful, the PCB board had some slight signs of either corrosion and/or gunk on it.

So I'm wondering if this controller is repairable at all; any comments/information is appreciated.

The PCB model is X854007-003, the PCBA is X854006-003, revision 2010(?), I live in Detroit, MI, 48201.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.png
Plays a lot of games, curious in everything.

3900X/3070/32GB@3000MTs
andreizabest

Re: Short-Circuited XBox360 Controller

Post by andreizabest »

I can't see anything in particular wrong with that board from the photos. You can try cleaning the board thoroughly with some isopropyl alcohol and a qtip but besides that there isn't much else you can do. I can't find any schematics for the board. And if it's not something simple like a capacitor, resistor or diode, then it's not really going to be financially viable given that xbox 360 controllers are relatively cheap nowadays. You could try poking with a multi meter around resistors, diodes and capacitors that don't look right to see if anything in particular is wrong. But generally speaking this kind of repair is usually avoided since it's just easier and sometimes cheaper to just get a new controller, hence the lack of schematics.