I made Modern API Documentation for Mac OS 9.

Any discussion of software that doesn't fit into any category goes here.
lol_xD

I made Modern API Documentation for Mac OS 9.

Post by lol_xD »

I started becoming interested in Mac programming recently and was quite disappointed in the lack of good documentation for the C/C++ functions. Outside of literal scans of books, the only thing I could find was the Apple website which was only avaliable via Wayback Machine and had a horrible interface (a search bar that no longer worked)

So I took matters into my own hands.

This is generated via the header files from the copy of Universal Interfaces that I got with CodeWarrior 8. It's actually so new that it's intended for Carbon developers, but the functions that were removed in Carbon are still documented here.

Unfortunately, "documented" is used loosley here. It turns out Apple was horrible at documentation; many functions are not described and most struct fields are not either. I could probably find more information if I sat down and fully combed through the books, and if I do, I'm probably going to add it to this site. But in the mean time, this is better then what I found before.

I also invite anybody who has the time/knowledge to submit a pull request to the GitHub repo for the docs.

I made this topic on this forum because I wanted to have discussions about parts of the API as I document it, and I also want to see if anyone else is interested in the masochistic task of looking at old books to fill in parts of the documentation.