Family owned original Xbox dead

If you need help with something, this is the place to be.
MattieShana

Family owned original Xbox dead

Post by MattieShana »

When I learned of the capacitor plague on the original Xbox I immediately got my family Xbox out to find out which one I had. It seems to be a 1.0 system and it is the system I have the most nostalgia for growing up. I would just get another unit but I'm desperate for this one to work again purely due to the fact that it's what I grew up playing on back in the day.

When I opened the system and discovered the capacitor had indeed leaked, I removed it and attempted some trace repair and failed. It still booted so I attempted to softmod and flash a new bios to then swap in a new hard drive so that I could save the old drive that was close to failure. I went to use the game exploit to then find out putting in a game does absolutely nothing because the dvd laser had failed. So I then attempted to do the drive unlocking truck to backup the HDD contents on an older desktop I have lying around. This also failed. I also then botched a modchip install. The system still powers on and it mostly functional and I believe it is still fixable.

I just desperately want this relic of the few fun times with my cousins, sister, and I to live on. It means more than anything to me sentimentally and I'd pay for everything that needed to be done. I'm at a loss at this point and just can't afford to pay for a maybe or what if.

I expect this post to possibly be deleted or moved or something. I'm just scared this Xbox will never work again so I'm shooting this miniscule shot as best I can. Wouldn't even care if this were shared in a video or anything. I'm just extremely desperate.
unsimp

Re: Family owned original Xbox dead

Post by unsimp »

a game does absolutely nothing because the dvd laser had failed
There is an exploit utilizing only the dashbord

also you wont be able to replace the drive easily due to some of the custom compoents in the drive (with a softmod you probably dont need to worry)

hopefully all works out good :)
Heyyyyyy its un and i do random shit on the internet when im bored 3Head
My Github
SONIC122

Re: Family owned original Xbox dead

Post by SONIC122 »

holy crap. this is super useful to me. my friends OG xbox has a dead DVD drive, I had no clue you could do this. super cool stuff. D: arthurDance

edit: Im a big Wii hacking nerd, and this exploit gives me mega letterbomb vibes lol