How to run Adobe Premiere Pro 2024 on Wine (Linux)

Any discussion of software that doesn't fit into any category goes here.
MattKC
Site Admin

How to run Adobe Premiere Pro 2024 on Wine (Linux)

Post by MattKC »

The following is instructions on getting the (currently) latest version of Adobe Premiere Pro 2024 running on Wine.

For reference, I'm using Arch Linux and Wine 8.20, however these instructions should work just as well on other distros too with a similar Wine version.
Screenshot_20231115_223558.png

Installation

Unfortunately, Adobe Creative Cloud - i.e. the main installer hub for Adobe software - does not currently work on Wine. Thankfully, Adobe apps are not picky about running from the same place they were installed from, and can therefore be copied straight from a Windows install with few issues.
  1. Set up a Windows VM (or computer) if you don't have one already. Either Windows 10 or 11 should be fine.
  2. Install Adobe Creative Cloud and use it to install Premiere Pro.
    • This process will require an Adobe account, and may ask for a credit card even if you're only installing the free trial. A tool called CCStopper can be used to bypass the credit card check.
  3. Once Premiere Pro has finished installing, you'll now want to transfer the following folder from your Windows computer into your Wine prefix:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro 2024

4. You'll also need to install some Winetricks into your Wine prefix:

winetricks dxvk corefonts

• DXVK is technically optional, but much of Premiere's newer web-based UI won't render correctly without it, which makes it difficult or even impossible to navigate some areas.
    • Without "corefonts", Premiere will close on startup with "Unknown Error".
  5. After installing the Winetricks, you'll also need to transplant some DLLs manually from Windows too. Grab the following files from Windows and place them in your Wine prefix's "C:\Windows\system32" folder (overwriting where necessary):

C:\Windows\system32\msxml3.dll
    C:\Windows\system32\msxml3r.dll

• Installing "msxml3" through Winetricks will not work here. This seems to be because Winetricks only installs the 32-bit version of msxml3 while Premiere requires the 64-bit version.
  6. You'll need to add a DLL override for msxml3.dll. To do this, open "winecfg" (in your Wine prefix), browse to the "Libraries" tab, and add "msxml3" as a new override. It should be set to "native, builtin".
    Screenshot_20231115_225638.png
  7. Finally, you'll need to duplicate some DLLs in the "Adobe Premiere Pro 2024" directory. Specifically duplicate the following:

icuin69.dll -> icuin.dll
    icuuc69.dll -> icuuc.dll

• Make sure you duplicate these files into these new names and don't just rename them. Some parts of Premiere expect the old name and some expect the new name. Therefore you should copy/paste and rename the duplicate so both names are available.
  8. Premiere Pro should now launch! However it'll present you with a broken login page. At this time, I'm not sure if there's any way to get it to accept login information correctly. For this reason, you'll probably need to bypass this using GenP.
  9. Optionally, run the following Winetricks to improve Premiere Pro's appearance/user interface:

winetricks gdiplus fontsmooth=rgb

10. Done! If everything went correctly, you should now have a functional Premiere Pro 2024 build on Linux!
Known Issues

Currently an issue prevents Premiere Pro from using OpenCL, meaning regardless of your GPU's capabilities, Photoshop will use software rendering only. This means it will run somewhat slower than it otherwise would on the same hardware.

Photoshop currently has the same issue, and I'd like to try investigating this further at some point, but currently have no real information about why it happens or how to fix it.

I hope this tutorial was helpful, enjoy Premiering!
Furret

can confirm it works, kind of

Post by Furret »

first of all, the only version that worked for me is the v24.0.3.2 one, I got it from a website that shall I not mention, newer versions will most likely not work as I got an error about Wine unable to find the library "Windows.Data.Json.JsonObject", for anyone who's reading, if you're getting the same issue try to use the version I mentioned.

Everything works except that Adobe Premiere doesn't like the NVIDIA Linux Driver and will try to use software encoding instead, this will lead to an unstable program that will trigger high CPU percentages when doing certain things if you're doing really advanced editing, if you're just doing simple things then it should be okay. I'm not sure about AMD but I guess it would be the same issue, I don't know what's causing this and if there's a fix for it, I really hope there is.

Aside that it's really good but for me, I guess I will have to use Windows for premiere, anyways it's nice seeing premiere work on Linux, I approve
Attachments
system compatibility report
system compatibility report
premiere
Furret

Re: can confirm it works, kind of

Post by Furret »

Furret wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:39 am first of all, the only version that worked for me is the v24.0.3.2 one, I got it from a website that shall I not mention, newer versions will most likely not work as I got an error about Wine unable to find the library "Windows.Data.Json.JsonObject", for anyone who's reading, if you're getting the same issue try to use the version I mentioned.

Everything works except that Adobe Premiere doesn't like the NVIDIA Linux Driver and will try to use software encoding instead, this will lead to an unstable program that will trigger high CPU percentages when doing certain things if you're doing really advanced editing, if you're just doing simple things then it should be okay. I'm not sure about AMD but I guess it would be the same issue, I don't know what's causing this and if there's a fix for it, I really hope there is.

Aside that it's really good but for me, I guess I will have to use Windows for premiere, anyways it's nice seeing premiere work on Linux, I approve
Issue fixed, apparently disabling an option on the Adobe Premiere settings (Preferences -> General -> Show system compatibility issues at startup) and installing this https://github.com/SveSop/nvidia-libs/r ... ag/v0.7.13 will fix the issue, now I can edit videos on Adobe Premiere, this is neat!
QwertyChouskie

Re: How to run Adobe Premiere Pro 2024 on Wine (Linux)

Post by QwertyChouskie »

Since the merge of https://github.com/Winetricks/winetricks/pull/2176, `winetricks msxml3` should be sufficient. (If it doesn't work, please let me know.)
Cikappa2904

Post by Cikappa2904 »

Has someone managed to get this working on AMD?
FurryGang

Post by FurryGang »

Well uhm... Doesn't quite work for me...
(yes adobe premiere pro does run but it does not render anything when a project is opened)
[media]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 396aad57f5&[/media]
[media]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 5351ed409a&[/media]
Attachments
Screenshot_20240424_062908-2.png
Hi!, I'm FurryGang.
Average Crazy Error (czes) Content Creator.
I'm 14 years old turning 15 in june.
My sexuality is Trans! (she/her)
My current job is editor at X's Studio!
My Main Linux Distro is Arch! Nice to meet you! ;3
FurryGang

Post by FurryGang »

The problems was resolved by running ```winetricks msxml3```
Hi!, I'm FurryGang.
Average Crazy Error (czes) Content Creator.
I'm 14 years old turning 15 in june.
My sexuality is Trans! (she/her)
My current job is editor at X's Studio!
My Main Linux Distro is Arch! Nice to meet you! ;3