Universal MoBo for a monitor

Any discussion of hardware that doesn't fit into any other category goes here.
CrabHead

Universal MoBo for a monitor

Post by CrabHead »

Hiii!!! I haven't been here for a while but i wanted to ask something

So I have this monitor from LG, it doesn't turn on and it seems it's something with the main board. I'm planning to give the board to my dad so he can resolder the port where you plug the power but that might or might not work so I'm looking at alternatives

The screen itself looks fine and is probably functional. I've heard that there are supposedly universal main boards for screens like this, so here goes my question. Is it possible at all to do this, if so then is it possible to do with my screen?

gonna attach pics here below with the monitors name, the port that it has etc.

cheers
Attachments
name and model
name and model
display info
display info
port
port
the cable
the cable
KEKW Goin' Flipmode!
CrabHead

Re: Universal MoBo for a monitor

Post by CrabHead »

woops uhh posted in the wrong category...?
KEKW Goin' Flipmode!
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

This is most likely an LVDS connector. You should be able to find an LVDS driver board from AliExpress/eBay/etc. that will allow plugging an HDMI, etc. signal into it.

However, the LVDS driver board also usually handles the OSD and brightness/contrast controls, and that stuff might not fit your monitor out of the box. Depending on how much effort you want to put in, you can probably get something that does though.
CrabHead

Post by CrabHead »

MattKC wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:51 pm This is most likely an LVDS connector. You should be able to find an LVDS driver board from AliExpress/eBay/etc. that will allow plugging an HDMI, etc. signal into it.

However, the LVDS driver board also usually handles the OSD and brightness/contrast controls, and that stuff might not fit your monitor out of the box. Depending on how much effort you want to put in, you can probably get something that does though.
thanks for that, I'll figure something out
KEKW Goin' Flipmode!
CrabHead

Post by CrabHead »

https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/32807649 ... f2pihCjRJu so something like this should work? would i need something else to this?
KEKW Goin' Flipmode!
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

I should preface this by saying I've never actually done a driver board swap myself (yet) so I recommend doing some research yourself to confirm.

I believe this should work. From what I can tell, your display has a 30-pin LVDS plug and so does that board. It's unclear whether it comes with a cable, but if not, you should be able to use something like this: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832623454803.html (you can see how it would connect to both the board and your panel).

Also keep in mind this does not power the backlight, it only processes video input for display. It also doesn't provide a power supply; as the description says, you'll need to be able to give it 5V 1A from somewhere. Depending on the configuration of this monitor, you may already be able to preserve the original power supply to power the backlight, and get 5V 1A from it for the logic. If so, I think it should be a fairly drop-in replacement, but it will depend on the panel itself. It's possible the design might make this more complicated, but you'd have to inspect it yourself to see. You may be able to find a replacement backlight inverter board/power supply too, but that's definitely outside of my knowledge.

Good luck!
CrabHead

Post by CrabHead »

Thanks for the info! I might make an update in about a month or less since im busy and most of this stuff is coming from AliExpress and it has it's delivery times.
KEKW Goin' Flipmode!