Installing Windows XP SP3 on Samsung 870 EVO

If you need help with something, this is the place to be.
rexstauss

Installing Windows XP SP3 on Samsung 870 EVO

Post by rexstauss »

Hey guys,

I'm trying to get XP installed on an "older" Dell Inspiron that I just put a new Samsung 870 EVO in. I've managed to bypass the ACPI issues I was having, but i cannot get the installer to see my SSD. I know there are some compatibility issues with some SATA drives and XP, but my Inspiron is just new enough that the BIOS does not have an IDE compatibility mode for SATA drives. I've tried a number of things and I just can't seem to make this work, so I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
andreizabest

Re: Installing Windows XP SP3 on Samsung 870 EVO

Post by andreizabest »

Windows XP doesn't support SATA by default. Only IDE. There are Windows XP ISO's on the internet that have SATA drivers added, there's also a way to add them to an install yourself. I'm not going to add any links here but if you search for "windows xp with sata drivers iso" in google the first result should be on archive.org where you can download it. But there's plenty of info and videos on this stuff in other places if you need it.
McNut

Post by McNut »

Man, I was psyched to see this thread! I'm going through almost exactly the same thing as @rexstauss is going through. The only minor difference being that we have a very nice Dell Precision M4700 that we're trying to install Windows XP Pro SP3 x86 onto ... and, oh yeah, the M4700's BIOS isn't detecting the SSD at all, so I can understand why the Win XP Pro SP3 installation process isn't finding it, either.

Was there ever any resolution to this extremely frustrating issue? We need a Win XP x86 laptop for an audio authoring project that employs a 32-bit utility that was written for Win XP only, so any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
PajamaFrix

Post by PajamaFrix »

For what it's worth, I remember there being some "patched" (modified to work on newer hardware) Intel AHCI/RAID and Universal ATA (including SATA alongside PATA) drivers floating around the web. From experience, I tested both of them on a few different machines (in particular: a Gateway 840GM running Windows XP Media Center Edition on an SSD and an HP 2000 from around 2013/14 dual-booting Windows XP and 2000) by slipstreaming them into Windows XP disc images using nLite and burning to a DVD, and they seemed to work alright. (although your mileage may vary)

If you're lucky, you might also be able to find one officially supported for your motherboard/chipset, however from what I've seen after a certain period of time Intel stopped providing AHCI support for Windows XP, so I'm not entirely sure if that would yield much (and even then, I couldn't seem to find anything for the M4700's chipset.)