Can you use hagi to play other gamecube games on switch

If you need help with something, this is the place to be.
a_regular_pear

Can you use hagi to play other gamecube games on switch

Post by a_regular_pear »

With the recent release of pikmin 1 + 2 HD on the switch I happened to come by hagi. An emulator Nintendo used for pikmin 1 + 2 and 3D all stars. According to these tweets Mario galaxy and pikmin 1 + 2 (which are Wii games) were recompiled and just used the emulator for audio and graphics. That means that mario sunshine (a gamecube game) was fully emulated. So would it theoretically be possible to inject a different rom to that emulator?
Last edited by a_regular_pear on Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattKC
Site Admin

Re: Can you use hagi to play other gamecube games on switch

Post by MattKC »

Ahh yeah I remember reading about this. I remember it was somewhat controversial in our (very nerdy) circles that SM3DAS used so much emulation for SM64/Sunshine (particularly considering SM64 already had a native port from the decomp), but I can understand how emulation would be seen as a better investment for Nintendo since they can reuse it for future games (as they seem to have with Pikmin)

Yeah it's probably theoretically possible to inject other games, though I'm not sure if anyone has managed to do it? The biggest issue is that if each version of the emulator is only really designed for one game (the game it was released with), its compatibility on other games might be fairly poor. Though that never stopped POPS users on the PS2, so I guess we'll see!