How did Matt do his lego1 disassembly?

If you need help with something, this is the place to be.
Nukley

How did Matt do his lego1 disassembly?

Post by Nukley »

Hey, I'm just curious, how did Matt manage to disassemble lego1. No I'm not talking about the active decompilation project, I'm actually referring to this:
https://github.com/itsmattkc/LEGO1Disassemble

I'm planning on working on a similar project for this really outdated version of Roblox from 2007:
https://github.com/MaximumADHD/Roblox_0.3.368.0

However it's proving to be a tad difficult, and I feel like a disassembly would give me a good head start. Considering the LEGO1Disassemble repo mentions that it is mostly machine automated, I was wondering what software was used?

Just so you're aware, I do know my basic way around the 2007 Roblox exe, I've modded in things like a audio player using x32dbg and making a dll that injects and intercepts functions. My goal here is not to do anything malicious, but rather help the community by being able to more easily add features and fix long standing security issues with this old version.

Any help would be appreciated!

By the way this is my first time really using a forum at all so I'm quite new to this layout, I hope I didn't screw anything up here...
MattKC
Site Admin

Re: How did Matt do his lego1 disassembly?

Post by MattKC »

I used a tool called "dll2c". It's a paid Chinese program that claimed to decompile executables, and I was curious so I gambled on it. It ended up being a little misleading because it said it "converted to C" without mentioning that it actually just inlines all the assembly inside C functions. Indeed it can be "compiled" with Visual Studio and produce a working (but notably not identical) LEGO1.DLL, but the resulting project is not particularly useful in my opinion. It doesn't tell you much more than you already get from Ghidra's or x32dbg's disassembly, and it's not even a true disassembly because a lot of the offsets still appear to be hardcoded, so you can't modify it much more than you could with simple binary hacking and DLL injection.

As of 2020, they claim it can now convert to actual C code, but it's also gotten a lot more expensive and I'm not sure I believe it. If you want to gamble $200 on it, feel free, but ultimately I'm fairly sure there are still no shortcuts to decompilation or true disassembly.