[OBSOLETE] Honkai: Star Rail, unscheduled

If you have a lot to say about something and feel like writing an Effort Post™ about it, post it here!
flatrute

[OBSOLETE] Honkai: Star Rail, unscheduled

Post by flatrute »

This thread is now considered obsolete in favour of a new one focused on being a guide once version 2.0 comes out.

stelle.png
All screenshots made by me in this thread will be in Vietnamese since I love my mother tongue and like reading Sino-Vietnamese words. Also I am the maker of a discussion thread for the game hence the signature seen below my name at the top right.

I wanted this to be a day one impression post but I am too lazy LULW and I need to take (a lot of) time to enjoy the game first YEP

Anyway, HSR is a gacha game made by the Chinese game company miHoYo with turn based combat as its core gameplay. Initially I did not care about the game at all until a few month before the release of the game when I got in love with the character named March 7th (seen below) who also acts as the game face icon.
なのか.png
The game is available for pre-downloading on April 23th and is scheduled to open its live service on the 26th at 02:00 UTC. The 4 servers opened at around 30 minutes before the schedule though so I got in early and became one of the first 65536 Asian accounts in the game EZ
titlescreen.png
ready.png
Although once the trained jumped into the bright space all I got was a black screen. It turned out I used Windows N edition and forgot to install Media Feature Pack MikeBruh I will not spoil the story for now but in short it is a journey about the Trailblazer (avatar of the player seen at the top of this post, chosen at the beginning of the game) along a crew named Astral Express on a space train. Do not get put off from this summary though since I am bad at explaining Sadge and also the writing of this game is quite goofy with lots of Western media references FreakingGonzo

As for the gameplay, you form a team of 4 characters with each of the character following one of the 7 Paths:
  • The Destruction: General DPS
  • The Hunt: Single target
  • The Erudition: AoE
  • The Harmony: Allies buff
  • The Nihility: Enemies debuff
  • The Preservation: Tank
  • The Abundance: Healer
and 9 Elements: Physical, Fire, Ice, Lightning, Wind, Quantum, Imaginary.
team.png
then fight against enemies with the main objective being to empty their Break Point using characters with Element they are weak with (seen below is Seele, a character with The Hunt Path and Quantum Element against monsters with Quantum weakness.)
seele.png
Each characters has a basic attack which add 1 Skill Point (seen left to the "Q" button), a Skill attack (the "E" button) which use 1 of it and an Ultimate attack which can be activated over the current turn after getting an amount of Energy from attacking and being attacked (the "1" and "2" are fully charged Ultimate while "3" and "4" are not). There are also effects affecting stats of characters and enemies but I do not have time to explain them pfft

Code: Select all

TODO: Should I explain the basic of gacha?
About the gacha aspect, you have 2 types of pulls: Star Rail Special Pass for time-limited banners and Star Rail Pass for non-limited ones, each costs 160 Stellar Jade seen on the top right. Seen below in order are: limited character banner, limited Light Cone (an item tied to a certain Path boosting power of characters equipping it) banner, non-limited character/Light Cone banner. There is also a Starter banner which limited to 50 pulls and are aimed at starters.
gacha-char-limited.png
gacha-lightcone.png
gacha-char.png
A special character can also be selected after pulling 300 times on the non-limited banner:
gacha-char-select.png

Code: Select all

TODO: More personal opinions, please.
As for me, I feel stupid for not spending time reading the stories I did not bother reading for the free Jades since they are a source of emotion rollercoaster. Maybe I should replay the game again on the Taiwan/Macao/Hong Kong server Stare
Last edited by flatrute on Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It turns out leaving an Internet identity behind is hard MikeBruh

My username is read as "flatorte".

[deleted] posts index

flatrute

Honkai: Star Rail, unscheduled

Post by flatrute »

彦卿.png
seele.png
My 5* in the second and third week on normal and limited banners respectively. Yanqing in this case is converted to an Eidolon since I had him before in the starter banner and Seele in particular came at around 47 pulls which is quite soon compared to the average of 60-70 pulls.

I am at the losing side of the fight against laziness when it comes to writing such forum posts FreakingGonzo Anyway, I am now at the Trailblazer Level 46 thanks to the daily grinding of "farm" contents and my first purchase in a game ever. I do not feel like repeating the game mechanics explainations so here are some summary images.
missions.png
Mission page showing 2 types of missions: Trailblazer Missions which are locked until achieving TL 34 and Adventure Missions which are basically side quests. There are also Companion Missions which are quests related to characters in story and Daily Missions for "Daily Training" shown below.
daily-training.png
"Daily Training" screen showing a bar with 5 resource gift checkpoints, 2 unfinished and 2 finished missions with Activity Points to fill the bar and a counter telling when the tasks are reset.
survival-index.png
"Survival Index" is a teleport screen to certain areas of the universe to use up the Trailblaze Power and Immersifer (at the top right corner, respectively) to gain level-up resources for characters. The latter is only used in Simulated Universe which I will talk about at a later date pepeLaugh
nameless-honor.png
"Nameless Honor", the "battle pass" system where you also do some tasks to fill up a bar and get resources in a row called "Nameless Gift". As I mentioned before, I actually paid ~US$17.50 (for a third party since it is a bit cheaper than paying ~US$19.18 without tax directly) to unlock the second row called "Nameless Glory" and get some time-limited profile icons EZ
Last edited by flatrute on Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

[deleted] posts index

ashifter

Re: Honkai: Star Rail, unscheduled

Post by ashifter »

Very interesting. I try to keep myself away from gacha as I can get pretty impulsive (don't ask how much I spent on Overwatch skins) but it does look like a pretty interesting game. The visuals are pretty nice.

This got me curious about miHoYo, reading the story of their founding and explosion into the mainstream was really interesting. I wonder what it looks like running such a massive business in China from the very top.
kcSmile
i am not the guy in my profile picture (Unfortunately)
flatrute

Post by flatrute »

ashifter wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:03 pm Very interesting. I try to keep myself away from gacha as I can get pretty impulsive (don't ask how much I spent on Overwatch skins) but it does look like a pretty interesting game. The visuals are pretty nice.
The gacha aspect of the game can be kept at zero cost of real world money if you know what you are doing. There is a story of a whale who burned over 3000 USD to basically ruined their enjoyment almost instantly so one should just enjoy what the game is to offer at the moment. As for the visuals, when I first stumbled across its W3 site at an unknown time (maybe it was the Closed Beta Test 2 period?) I initially cringed at the art of March 7th LOLXD About a year later and somehow she grew on me and I have been a simp for her ever since pepeLaugh FeelsBadMan COPIUM
ashifter wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:03 pm This got me curious about miHoYo, reading the story of their founding and explosion into the mainstream was really interesting. I wonder what it looks like running such a massive business in China from the very top.
I remember downloading their Houkai 3rd back when the company was just like any other gacha game companies sometimes in my senior middle schooling. My touchphone was crap and so I could only played like less than half an hour of its gameplay but I could already feel something is different compared to other mobile games that I had played. Somehow, I was only like "huh" when I realised how massive the company is nowadays.

[deleted] posts index

flatrute

Post by flatrute »

So, it has been like 2 and a half weeks since I last posted a "review" of the game...

Lets just say that I am now more interested in the effort to run the game offline for dissecting the inner of the game since, well, this is a forum about "moddin' games" after all and there are ban waves to people who played the game on Linux due to a third party client made to easily setup a Wine environment for the game bypassed its anticheat. There is a Java FOSS reimplementation of Genshin server called Grasscutter so I am looking for the team who made the software to do the same for Star Rail.

I will however continue doing my "review" of the last 3 weeks this weekend, covering the second gacha phase of version 1.0 and other stuffs before the 1.1 release in HE 12023-06-07 but until then, here are screenshots of me rolling to maximise Eidolons of my little March Thuink
なのかちゃんの星魂.png
なのかちゃんのすべての星魂.png

[deleted] posts index

flatrute

Post by flatrute »

standard-banner-select.png
I actually spent real life money for this LOLXD

gacha-second-1.0-char.png
gacha-second-1.0-cone.png
Second phase of 1.0 gacha featuring 景元/Cảnh Nguyên. The character in question is so popular he broke the payment system in mainland China ThatsHot
躍進する新星.なのかちゃん.png
info.躍進する新星.なのかちゃん.png
match.躍進する新星.なのかちゃん.png
Banner character trials to test out before deciding to pull. The 5* one gives you 20 Jades while the 4* ones gives you a few upgrade materials appropriated to the respective characters.
It is funny how she is there since she is given for free as the first starter character pepeLaugh At least she is cute Sadge
boulder-event.png
boulder-event-reward.png
Boulder Town Super League, the only limited time event of this version.
Basically you get to do 5 matches, each of which has 4 fights in increasing difficulty level. Each fights gives out a team buff after winning and has its number of rounds accumulated. You get 20 Jades for completing a match and 200 Jades for completing within 30 rounds.

And well...that is it. Aside from a brief period where people could colourise their profiles due to the developers not blocking Unity Rich Text (image below), the game is currenly just a loop of doing dailies for Jades and burning Trailblaze Power for character upgrading materials. I might cover some events in 1.1 but as I mentioned before, I am looking forward more into running the game offline. See you next time arthurDance
unity-rich-text.png
Last edited by flatrute on Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

[deleted] posts index

flatrute

Post by flatrute »

silverwolf-e0.png
My last rolling for now as I will be skipping 1.2. I was basically under soft pity when I got her and rolling on her signature light cone did not fare better SadCool At least her Skill is very useful...

The entirely of this patch is basically fillers due to issues in main story pacing that miHoYo have to fix before 1.2 come out. Nonetheless, the companion quests (which are side stories telling happenings of some characters around the main story.) came out pretty decent. My only problem is that text rendering looks way worse than 1.0 with diacritics being cut off weirdChamp At least there is not any font substituion bollocks yet...
silverwolf-gacha.png
Unfortunately, due to my incompetence I accidentally sent the light cone gacha screenshot one into the bit bucket PepeHands
starhuntgame.png
starhuntgame-missions.png
starhuntgame-graffiti.png
starhuntgame-scanning.png
starhuntgame-lightcone.png
The first event of 1.1, Starhunt Game is a mix of a companion quest of character Silver Wolf with an introduction of a new character named Screwllum and a minigame where you take pictures/"scan" of objects and graffiti around the Herta Space Station. The graffiti taken are used to unlock the event light cone, Before the Tutorial Mission Starts while object pictures taken are mission objectives to obtain Always Smiling event currency to buy items in Deep Web Gray Market for upgrade items of the event light cone, characters, et cetera.
Last edited by flatrute on Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

[deleted] posts index

flatrute

Re: Honkai: Star Rail, unscheduled (continue)

Post by flatrute »

everwinterevent.png
everwinterevent-rewards.png
everwinterevent-rewards-limited.png
everwinterevent-menu.png
everwinterevent-gameplay.png
everwinterevent-characters-initial.png
everwinterevent-upgrades-area.png
everwinterevent-day.png
everwinterevent-endoftheday.png
The main event of 1.1, Everwinter City Museum Ledger of Curiosities is a museum management simulator. I am too lazy to explain so in short, it is basically a stripped down version of management minigame in Yakuza YEP

[deleted] posts index

flatrute

Re: Honkai: Star Rail, unscheduled (continue)

Post by flatrute »

labassistants.png
labassistants-menu.png
labassistants-rewards.png
labassistants-days.png
planarfissure.png
planarfissure-confirm.png
planarfissure-rewards.png
Lastly, there are 2 tiny events being Lab Assistants In Position and Planar Fissure. The former is a login event with extra steps: you meet a
child scientist, giving her bottom tier items in exchange for Stellar Jades and character upgrade materials; and the latter is a double reward event for Relics (character equipment that massively increase their stats) in Simulated Universe (a rougelike game mode).

[deleted] posts index

flatrute

Post by flatrute »

Today is my birthday and I am too lazy to type out what is in 1.1 when 1.2 is on its first half right now LOLXD Will try doing that again tomorrow or the day after tomorrow...

[deleted] posts index

flatrute

Re: [OBSOLETE] Honkai: Star Rail, unscheduled

Post by flatrute »

With version 2.0 livestream coming in a few hours, I am now putting this thread to the grave and starting a new one when the patch comes out. I quickly got bored with summarising what is new in each patches as tons of people have already done that. It did not help that I lost my screenshots after a poorly thought operating system reinstallation. I also think that 1.x is a bit too early to make a review of a live service game.

Basically, a new, more guide-like thread coming with real live events image bonus coming soon Mama

[deleted] posts index

flatrute

Re: [OBSOLETE] Honkai: Star Rail, unscheduled

Post by flatrute »

2.0 is here! Stay tune for the article in 3 days... (I hope so.)

Change of plan: The article would be made on the first anniversary of the game instead. Tomorrow is Lunar New Year and I do not want to worry about typing something out... FreakingGonzo

[deleted] posts index