Various LEGO Island Links and Resources

A place to discuss playing and reverse engineering the 1997 video game LEGO Island.
MattKC
Site Admin

Various LEGO Island Links and Resources

Post by MattKC »

This is a collection of various resources around the internet - feel free to suggest more in the replies.
  • Modding Tools/Community Sites
    • LEGO Island Rebuilder - A launcher for LEGO Island providing multiple fixes, features, and improvements.
    • libweaver - A comprehensive SI file editing tool (for both extraction/repacking) currently being developed by me.
    • lierip - Formerly the most reliable SI extractor, however its functionality has been superseded by libweaver.
    • WDBRipper - Currently the only tool somewhat capable of extracting assets from WORLD.WDB (e.g. the model data for the island).
    • LEGO Island Wiki - A counterpart to this forum and work-in-progress documentation of all aspects of the game.
    • LEGO Island Video Game Flashback - A fansite containing a lot of interesting information, by le717, one of the earliest modding contributors to LEGO Island.
  • Development Materials/Unused Assets
    • Behind the Scenes of Adventures on LEGO® Island - A promotional video created some time during development showcasing its progress. Notably contains a completely different racetrack and shows that most developers used the mouse controls rather than the keyboard, potentially explaining how the turn speed bug wasn't caught until too late.
    • Leaked 1996 source code - An early partial backup of the game's source. Unfortunately, it's incomplete; all of the code for the underlying OMNI engine is missing, so most of the source cannot be recompiled as-is. Some tools and builds are available though.
    • Leaked beta 9.0 - The final beta build compiled around 1 month before the 1.0 release (and 2 months before the more common 1.1 release). Plays largely the same, but contains several minor differences, as well as a changelog documenting various changes over the various beta releases.
    • LEGO Demos - A collection of demos for LEGO games, including a Japanese demo of LEGO Island.
    • The Cutting Room Floor - A good collection of assets included the retail release that never get used.
    • Project Island High Quality Music / A Better Organized Playlist - A re-digitization of most tracks from the LEGO Island soundtrack by its main composer Lorin Nelson.
  • Interviews
Infomaniac95

Re: Various LEGO Island Links and Resources

Post by Infomaniac95 »

Hey, this is a nice collection of resources! I might also recommend linking Brickstobytes, which is the source of stuff like that Behind the Scenes video that leaked a long time ago: https://brickstobytes.org/

It's worth noting this website only came out a few months ago. Documents and such were scanned for ages, but release was held off for a long time. Not sure if anything there will be interesting technically, but it should at least provide fans of the game some neat stuff to look at.
Did you know it can cost nearly 1000$ to build the real Information Center? It's true! Learn more here: https://twitter.com/lebrickster/status/ ... 3791233027
GenericObjectShow

Post by GenericObjectShow »

I have a feeling that the leaked source code will come in handy later on in the development of this project.
GenericObjectShow

Post by GenericObjectShow »

I looked at OMNI Demo and realized that it's probably an older version of ISLE.EXE
In fact, there's a DLL that aligns with that assumption (kinda)
"LEGOOMNI1D.DLL" - probably an older version of LEGO1, might be easier to decompile.
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

It's certainly useful as a reference, but so much of the code is missing (I estimate more than half), and what is there is over a year prior to the final release (i.e. it's missing a whole year's worth of work/development), so it's probably not as useful as might be expected. But having it is definitely better than going in completely blind.