I've perfected my Linux system

Any discussion of software that doesn't fit into any category goes here.
acidiclight

I've perfected my Linux system

Post by acidiclight »

Haven't been on here in a while but I wanted to show y'all my perfect Linux setup. Well, maybe not show, but describe it. It's very much tailored to my disability which I did an AMA on here a long time ago. (By the way, although I'm still blind, I got it treated!)

Main things that've changed with my system since the last time I ever talked about it are:
  • I run Ubuntu now. Used to run Arch, but I don't need to be on the bleeding edge of package releases and I'd prefer to be on a more stable distro. Plus, while a distro has nothing to do with your desktop layout, I do like Ubuntu's GNOME configuration.
  • I'm no longer on KDE. It's a great desktop, but I wanted to give GNOME a try. I'm realizing I like it a lot more.
  • I improved my VFIO setup so that Windows 11 fully integrates with my GNOME workflow. Actually writing this inside Windows right now.
I did a more detailed write-up on what I did with this system on my personal blog if anyone's interested.
https://acidiclight.dev/blog/my-perfect ... -kvm-setup

There is one single bug with my setup that breaks screen magnification with multiple monitors. It's a bug with Mutter (the GNOME window manager), and I've opened an issue on GNOME GitLab. Once that's fixed though...oh my god. If anyone's interested in the bug, not sure how many GNOME devs are on here though, here's the link.
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/issues/2743

I remember hearing MattKC say he does a similar thing with VFIO and GPU passthrough though this could be a Mandella effect or something. If he does, and he uses Looking Glass, or anyone else here does too, then definitely have a look at the blog post I linked above. I actually posted the script and desktop entry file I use to integrate Windows into the Linux desktop in a way where you can just run it as an application and not worry about whether the VM is actually running yet. It's really neat. Hopefully someone finds it useful :P
acidic light

I'm a blind game developer. I write code because it's fun.