Removing google play dependencies from app

If you need help with something, this is the place to be.
a_regular_pear

Removing google play dependencies from app

Post by a_regular_pear »

I've been trying to degoogle my smartphone recently and decided to switch to a custom ROM called DivestOS. Said ROM does not come with MicroG. My mobile network carrier has an app called What's up (it's a Greek carrier called COSMOTE). Problem is said app requires Google Play as seen in the image. Is there any way to remove its dependencies from google play? (Already tried lucky patcher)
Attachments
Screenshot_20230319-115745_What's Up_1.png
MattKC
Site Admin

Re: Removing google play dependencies from app

Post by MattKC »

It's very likely possible, depending on what kind of app this is. Most Android apps are Java-based, which usually makes them easier to modify than machine code apps.

An APK can be opened and edited with an archiver like 7-Zip, which will give you access to the Java classes inside. With luck, there won't be any machine code/binary assemblies and the Java classes won't be obfuscated, which will allow you to decompile and edit the app's source code directly with a Java decompiler. With some work, you should be able to remove any dependency on Google Play.

That being said, it may be a fairly involved process. I wonder if there's a "substitute" Google Play that you can install that will satisfy the dependency without actually being Google Play.
a_regular_pear

Post by a_regular_pear »

There isa substitute called MicroG but it requires signature spoofing, something that DivestOS or lineageOS for that matter don't support. LineageOS for Microg(https://lineage.microg.org/) exists though. I would've used that but the lineageOS ROM for my phone just came out
andreizabest

Post by andreizabest »

Lucky Patcher could work. I think it has options to remove google play dependencies although I haven't used it in a while.
whyyyy.PNG
a_regular_pear

Post by a_regular_pear »

I did try lucky patcher and it didn't work
Hanzo

Post by Hanzo »

andreizabest wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:46 pm Lucky Patcher could work. I think it has options to remove google play dependencies although I haven't used it in a while.
whyyyy.PNG
Oh god fucking Lucky Patcher.

You have to be lucky for that shit to even do anything.
My life is the authentic stereotypical nerd experience. catJAM
florao

Post by florao »

Lucky Patcher is always a good tool.
Founder at AppsGag.