PS3 Controller debugging

Any discussion of hardware that doesn't fit into any other category goes here.
Kev360

PS3 Controller debugging

Post by Kev360 »

Controller isn't working. When assessembled no buttons work apart from joysticks, nothing being pressed down. Took it out and with just the board connected, all buttons are considered pressed down. Is this normal? wondering if its a problem with the board or just the conductive mesh pad. Video attached:
MattKC
Site Admin

Re: PS3 Controller debugging

Post by MattKC »

The board definitely shouldn't be receiving button input without the conductive pad connected. Is it always like that even if you unplug and replug? If so, I think you could pretty comfortably call that a board issue, though it could be as simple as some dirt or other material bridging some of the points. I'd recommend cleaning the board thoroughly (particularly the conductive pad connector) and seeing if that makes any difference.
Kev360

Post by Kev360 »

Always like that, tried unplug / replug several times. I cleaned the board and conductive pad with IPA 99% which didn't fix anything. Surprisingly when I push down onto the toshiba chip on the back, the buttons reset to unpressed. I'm gonna leave it for a while, im sure if I follow the traces and diagnose the parts; im sure ill find a solution and get it fixed. If I do ill update the thread with the problem.
Maximal_98

Post by Maximal_98 »

do the buttons work properly (eg. register presses) with the toshiba chip pushed down? if so it might have a disconnected lead somewhere that you can resolder