Does Nintendo have any weird obscure software for PC?

If you just want to post some random stuff, that goes here.
jude

Does Nintendo have any weird obscure software for PC?

Post by jude »

Nintendo made the Nintendo Desktop Manager and themes for Windows XP in Europe so I thought surely they must have done other promotions that are weird and quirky. I would appreciate if anyone knew thanks.
Hanzo

Re: Does Nintendo have any weird obscure software for PC?

Post by Hanzo »

Not sure if this counts but the original Pikmin for the GameCube has a whole PC build in the game files that has debug stuff in it.
My life is the authentic stereotypical nerd experience. catJAM
jude

Post by jude »

Hanzo wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:20 am Not sure if this counts but the original Pikmin for the GameCube has a whole PC build in the game files that has debug stuff in it.
Thats actually really cool thanks! also MattKC I saw you react
wisecar

Post by wisecar »

Hanzo wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:20 am Not sure if this counts but the original Pikmin for the GameCube has a whole PC build in the game files that has debug stuff in it.
That's actually brilliant - I'll do some digging when I have time. I'd be curious as to why they went through the effort of developing it in the first place - maybe the GC hardware wasn't finalised when this game was in development?
Hanzo

Post by Hanzo »

wisecar wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:07 pm That's actually brilliant - I'll do some digging when I have time. I'd be curious as to why they went through the effort of developing it in the first place - maybe the GC hardware wasn't finalised when this game was in development?
Probably.

Sounds about right that the GameCube wasn’t finalised yet.
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

It seems a lot of 2000s games were built for PC too, even if they ended up being console exclusives. There are behind the scenes photos of Sonic Unleashed running on Windows XP despite only seeing a PS3/360 release, and Amy Hennig has mentioned that much of the development for the first Uncharted game predated the original PS3 release, so they just developed for PCs and tried to estimate what the eventual specs would be.

I can definitely understand the motivation, I think it'd always be easier to debug and test on PC than on console. But as a big PC guy, it is sad to think how many PC ports existed internally but were never actually released.
Hanzo

Post by Hanzo »

MattKC wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:00 am It seems a lot of 2000s games were built for PC too, even if they ended up being console exclusives. There are behind the scenes photos of Sonic Unleashed running on Windows XP despite only seeing a PS3/360 release, and Amy Hennig has mentioned that much of the development for the first Uncharted game predated the original PS3 release, so they just developed for PCs and tried to estimate what the eventual specs would be.

I can definitely understand the motivation, I think it'd always be easier to debug and test on PC than on console. But as a big PC guy, it is sad to think how many PC ports existed internally but were never actually released.
I remember seeing on one of the Volition Saints Row 10th anniversary streams back in 2016 that one of the devs briefly mentioned that Saints Row 1 had a PC build because of 360 dev kits being expensive and they didn’t have the budget to get a lot of them so development was a mix between PC and 360 despite the game being a 360 exclusive.
JohnSkeleton

Post by JohnSkeleton »

I think they made a Nintendo DS emulator for Windows that leaked a couple years ago. I probably can't link it since it's leaked content but I don't even think this is the first time something like that has happened. I'm pretty sure there was also a Gamecube one that leaked but it couldn't run any commercial games, unlike the DS one.