PS3 Phat Stuck On Connect Controller Screen

If you need help with something, this is the place to be.
klegs

PS3 Phat Stuck On Connect Controller Screen

Post by klegs »

I probably look like an idiot here, but what I believe to be an original PS3 Phat that I got has been stuck on a screen saying to "Connect the controller using a USB cable, and then press PS Button." I plugged the controller in with a USB and it appeared as though the controller never properly connected to the system. Does anyone know of a solution before I try to deal with the hardware?

MattKC
Site Admin

Re: PS3 Phat Stuck On Connect Controller Screen

Post by MattKC »

Do you get any activity from the controller LEDs when you plug it in? Or is it completely dead?
klegs

Post by klegs »

MattKC wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:37 am Do you get any activity from the controller LEDs when you plug it in? Or is it completely dead?
The controller LEDs just flash repeatedly because the controller was charged prior to me plugging it in, tried on a dead controller and the controller didn't get any charge from the connection.
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

Without pressing the PS button, no matter what, the controller should at least power on and start charging if attached to the PS3's USB port, as indicated by a slow blink on the LEDs. If your controllers aren't doing that, and you've confirmed they work fine on other devices (i.e. the controllers themselves aren't faulty), it sounds like there's a fault with the console's USB.
klegs

Post by klegs »

MattKC wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:36 pm Without pressing the PS button, no matter what, the controller should at least power on and start charging if attached to the PS3's USB port, as indicated by a slow blink on the LEDs. If your controllers aren't doing that, and you've confirmed they work fine on other devices (i.e. the controllers themselves aren't faulty), it sounds like there's a fault with the console's USB.
That makes sense and was pretty much what I was thinking. It seems like another Phat symptom that other people have and I’ll probably find a tutorial on it.