3d printed ps3 side panel

Any discussion of hardware that doesn't fit into any other category goes here.
JohnSkeleton

3d printed ps3 side panel

Post by JohnSkeleton »

My friend sold me his ps3. it didn't have a side panel. I 3d printed one.
IMG_1721.jpg
IMG_1722.jpg
5BB4D53E-3D16-4E43-A64C-3658AE301CEB.jpg
MattKC
Site Admin

Re: 3d printed ps3 side panel

Post by MattKC »

Oh wow that's really cool! Out of curiosity, how did you do the modelling? I've been wanting to get into 3D printing replacement parts myself, but have gotten a lot of conflicting information about good software to use, good practices, etc.
andreizabest

Post by andreizabest »

That's pretty neat. I'm not very familiar with 3D printed but would it be possible to sand a 3D printed part and paint it to give it a similar finish to what the PS3 had originally?
JohnSkeleton

Post by JohnSkeleton »

MattKC wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:31 am Oh wow that's really cool! Out of curiosity, how did you do the modelling? I've been wanting to get into 3D printing replacement parts myself, but have gotten a lot of conflicting information about good software to use, good practices, etc.
Thanks!
I didn't make this particular model myself (turns out I'm not the only one who needed this lol). However, when I do make/modify models for 3d printing purposes I really only ever use Blender (for the actual modelling) and Cura(to convert the model to a format usable by 3D printers). A lot of the specifics in terms of the process and what you can do will depend on your specific printer. I expect that's probably where a lot of the conflicting information comes from, something that works great on one printer can absolutely suck on another.
Last edited by JohnSkeleton on Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnSkeleton

Post by JohnSkeleton »

andreizabest wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:50 pm That's pretty neat. I'm not very familiar with 3D printed but would it be possible to sand a 3D printed part and paint it to give it a similar finish to what the PS3 had originally?
Yep! In fact, that is common practice for things like cosplay props and such. I could probably do that for the PS3 panel as well but then I'd have to repaint it and it just isn't worth the hassle for something like this IMO.