Random question

While MattKC videos aren't the only topic of discussion here, they are probably the primary way people found out about this place, so here's a forum for discussing them.
JohnSkeleton

Random question

Post by JohnSkeleton »

Why does Matt censor swearing in his videos? He curses on stream and I'd have to assume he doesn't care for some kind of moral reason given how it's allowed on here. I'm just kinda curious, is it to keep the videos advertiser-friendly or something?
flatrute

Re: Random question

Post by flatrute »

JohnSkeleton wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:08 pm Why does Matt censor swearing in his videos? He curses on stream and I'd have to assume he doesn't care for some kind of moral reason given how it's allowed on here. I'm just kinda curious, is it to keep the videos advertiser-friendly or something?
Since YouTube is a dumbo.
It turns out leaving an Internet identity behind is hard MikeBruh

My username is read as "flatorte".

[deleted] posts index

fahugugads

Post by fahugugads »

YouTube hates people cursing in videos on there, so I'm guessing he doesn't want to risk it.
If we're talking about your children's future, primary and secondary investments simply won't cut it. We need to talk about 𝒯𝑒𝓇𝓉𝒾𝒶𝓇𝓎 investments.
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

It is true that since around 2017 (during the "adpocalypse") YouTube started demonetizing videos for swearing, especially within the first 30-60 seconds of a video. This was a big deal back then because YT was known for having edgier content than TV, but suddenly such content became completely unprofitable. While they've relaxed a little with this, and have made much clearer guidelines for what is and isn't permissible, to this day, a lot of creators will completely censor any swear words (usually by completely cutting them, not even bleeping) just to be on the safe side.

But truthfully, that isn't why I started doing it. When I started censoring, I still averaged like 40 views per video, so monetization wasn't on my mind. The real reason was I just thought it was really funny to censor swear words with the Windows 98 CHORD sound lol. It sounds close enough to a bleep that you know exactly what's happening (unlike some sound effects used to censor), but is also a distinctly different sound that a lot of people recognize. Keeping the videos monetized has been a good motivation to continue doing it, but it was not actually the motivation to start doing it.
Mikmoomamimocki

Post by Mikmoomamimocki »

MattKC wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:33 pm The real reason was I just thought it was really funny to censor swear words with the Windows 98 CHORD sound lol.
Yeah, a lot of the time I find censored swearing to be much more comical. LTT and Scott the Woz do it as well, but the Windows sound is great because it's less jarring than a loud beep.
arthurDance Mikmoomamimocki arthurDance

can’t spell programmer without pro gamer