Disc swapping in Burnout 3 (during gameplay)

A place to discuss reverse engineering and modding Burnout 3: Takedown.
CrabHead

Disc swapping in Burnout 3 (during gameplay)

Post by CrabHead »

You might be wondering, what is disc swapping during the gameplay? Well, it's swapping the disc (or the iso file) while playing the game for a different game with the same engine. Bonus points if the game have similiar file structures. I got around doing it with Burnout 3 and Burnout Revenge, and sometimes, the results were... surprising.

#1 Disc swapping during the first loading screen.
Well... Not much here. In both cases the game loads *way* slower, and at the near end of the bar it just stops. Swapping the disc back doesn't help. So, rip.

#2 Disc swapping during the menu
First, Takedown. Swapping during the title screen doesn't freeze the game, but only the FMV. And in background it plays a... japanese version of the intro?... can't really tell. After you get into the actual menu, you hear the burnout 3 soundtrack until it starts beeping. Going to any menu that requires new data crashes the game, like car select or anything else. Entering Crash Nav and selecting Silver Lake's Crash Tour makes the game hang up after a few seconds.

Here things get more interesting. Let's start with Revenge. Swapping during the title screen freezes the game at first, but then things get crazy. The FMV starts looping a few frames, and most importantly, soundtrack from burnout 3 starts playing, but very scuffed at best. Once you get to the actual menu however, everything goes bravo 6 dark and going into a new menu that requires new data will just freeze, but swapping the iso back causes the game to function normally.

#3 Disc swapping during the garage

Nothing here, really. Burnout 3 crashes when selecting a new car that requires new data. Probably same with Revenge but i didn't bother to check.

#4 Disc swapping on a loading screen.

Both games have a stroke and they die.

#5 Disc swapping during a race

Now here things get spicy.
First, Takedown. Swapping when the race starts, already has differences. Biggest of all, the music stops playing. Driving a little further you can see unloaded geometry but then reality starts falling apart. First, not a single thing in the map has textures. You drive normally, until the collision itself stops working and the game crashes. I'll share a video here next time.

Revenge... Coming soon.

THERE's MORE TO COME HERE
Last edited by CrabHead on Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KEKW Goin' Flipmode!
andreizabest

Re: Disc swapping in Burnout 3 (during gameplay)

Post by andreizabest »

There's this video where someone swaps Test Drive 5 and Demolition Racer on the PS1 and there are pretty interesting results.
CrabHead

Post by CrabHead »

andreizabest wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:20 pm There's this video where someone swaps Test Drive 5 and Demolition Racer on the PS1 and there are pretty interesting results.
NGL i was very inspired by this video to do this
KEKW Goin' Flipmode!
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

Should this be moved to the Burnout 3 forum?
flatrute

Post by flatrute »

MattKC wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:37 pm Should this be moved to the Burnout 3 forum?
Yes since its main subject is about Burnout.
It turns out leaving an Internet identity behind is hard MikeBruh

My username is read as "flatorte".

[deleted] posts index

CrabHead

Post by CrabHead »

lolz completely forgot about the burnout forum, ah whatever. Update comin soon
KEKW Goin' Flipmode!
TheGoat62

Post by TheGoat62 »

Although this isnt related to burnout but i find disc swapping fascinating. I tried doing this too some time ago but with gta vice city played on top of gta 3 and the results are funny.

At one point it started playing anaka - japanese boy which is a song from flash fm in vice city. It would be funny if liberty city slowly morphs into vice city lmao.

p.s: dont mind the quality this is was like few years ago only a couple months ago i uploaded it.