display issues on AlienWare 18 2014 model

If you need help with something, this is the place to be.
halflifefan??

display issues on AlienWare 18 2014 model

Post by halflifefan?? »

https://imgur.com/a/dT3LHsS
When I found out you can plug an HDMI port into an Alienware 18, I tested it out with my Nintendo Switch's dock mode. Once I was done for the day, I noticed artifacting seen on the first image. You can see the HDMI port has input on the second image, and everything looks fine in the third image, but oddly it broke in the first. The details of the PC can be seen in the 4th image. I reinstalled the drivers and nothing; guys plz help.
(The Pokemon screenshot below is a color test, with many Pokemon in a wide diversity. Taken directly from HDMI input of Switch Dock.)
Last edited by halflifefan?? on Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattKC
Site Admin

Re: display issues on AlienWare 18 2014 model

Post by MattKC »

Please repost your images as attachments rather than an external link.
halflifefan??

Post by halflifefan?? »

removed this post reply.
Last edited by halflifefan?? on Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halflifefan??

Post by halflifefan?? »

MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

This sort of thing could have a lot of causes so it's hard to really narrow anything down. The most likely things you should look at are:
  1. Replace the HDMI cable, in case there's a break somewhere in it.
  2. Check the HDMI port, clean it thoroughly with some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip.
  3. Check if the HDMI port is loose. Gently fiddle with the cable while plugged in and see if anything changes. If so, it's most likely the port just needs reflowing.
If none of those help, it's most likely the GPU is dying and you'll probably have to replace it. From what I can tell the GPU is indeed replaceable in this laptop (often they're just soldered to the board), so it is doable but might be expensive.

Good luck!