Is the new live stream chat based on IRC?

While MattKC videos aren't the only topic of discussion here, they are probably the primary way people found out about this place, so here's a forum for discussing them.
maxmoon

Is the new live stream chat based on IRC?

Post by maxmoon »

In the last stream Matt explained he uses his new chat, because Youtubes chat is bad, because it uses REST and it's not like Twitch, which is based on IRC.

So my question is: Is the new chat based on IRC?

I couldn't figure out a lot, because it says I have to login with [insert bad company name here]
screenshot-2023_01_11-16_46_34.png
After watching the stream I totally get that it is necessary, because it is a way to get donations (even if I think the company takes a lot of it. Wasn't it even 45%? Or was this number from ads?).

But if it's based on IRC, are we allowed to connect to it with our IRC clients? Because being able to chat over weechat while Matt is streaming would be pretty cool.
Ramen2X

Re: Is the new live stream chat based on IRC?

Post by Ramen2X »

It's a completely custom implementation if I recall correctly, but I believe IRC support was on the table for the future.
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

maxmoon wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:56 pm In the last stream Matt explained he uses his new chat, because Youtubes chat is bad, because it uses REST and it's not like Twitch, which is based on IRC.
That's not quite what I said, I don't actually care what the backend is or whether its IRC or not. The reason I mentioned the backend is because I attempted to solve YouTube's various chat usability/moderation issues with a chatbot, which Twitch makes really easy to do because its backend is immediately accessible through IRC. YouTube's REST API is fine, it's a lot slower than IRC, but it works. The problem is YouTube's insistence on quota limits for reading and writing chat, meaning any bot I wrote to help improve things could only be active for a short time (I estimated no more than 45 minutes per day) before YouTube shut it down. That was the last straw that convinced me I needed to a new chat to do what I wanted.

But just for fun, IRC compatibility may be added later to facillitate running the chat on older computers.
maxmoon wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:56 pm After watching the stream I totally get that it is necessary, because it is a way to get donations (even if I think the company takes a lot of it. Wasn't it even 45%? Or was this number from ads?).
Honestly, the new chat had nothing to do with donations. I was able to get donations fine through YouTube super chats and Twitch bits. The only reason my chat needs its own donation implementation is because if we're not using YouTube or Twitch chat, there's no access to either of those things (though it is true that I keep a bigger cut of it this way, that wasn't the motivation for the new chat, I could have just linked a donate page if that's what I wanted).
maxmoon

Post by maxmoon »

MattKC wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:03 pm The only reason my chat needs its own donation implementation is because if we're not using YouTube or Twitch chat, there's no access to either of those things (though it is true that I keep a bigger cut of it this way, that wasn't the motivation for the new chat, I could have just linked a donate page if that's what I wanted).
Wouldn't it be better to create this donate page, which triggers SAM to talk on your stream? I don't know exactly how the cut off looks like, but it must be a huge piece and paying huge companies might be something what people don't want to do, but want to support you. At least I think you would do more good with this money than Google or Amazon.

Is it even possible nowadays to create an easy donate page without giving a huge company a lot of the money?