Server Won't Boot After Interrupted Driver Install

If you need help with something, this is the place to be.
PierrePoutine

Server Won't Boot After Interrupted Driver Install

Post by PierrePoutine »

So the long story short is I was playing around with my plex and other junk server and couldn't resist hitting the big shiny update button in SDI Tool on some drivers. While those were installing, Windows Update decided that right then would be a good time restart and I haven't been able to get into Windows since. It'll get to the loading screen with the Windows logo, then bluescreen with the error "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE". I've included the logs from SDI Tool which also seem to stop at something storage driver related.

This is a HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8 running Windows Server 2012 R2. There are 2 boxes with 8 drives in each box. One box is controlled by an onboard Smart Array P420i, and the other is controlled by a Smart Array P420. Both show no issues in iLO 4. Everything is in some arrangement of RAID 1 that I can get into more if that ends up mattering.

What I've Tried:
-Automatic repair (including trying to repair from a USB)
-Some command prompt stuff with DISM and BCD
-Safe Mode (still doesn't get to Windows)
-Changing the boot order in the BIOS (all partitions are visible)

I would try restoring from a backup but I don't have one because I like to live on the edge. SadCool

Perhaps the easiest option is the nuclear route and just do a fresh install of Windows on that partition. I considered making a Linux USB to see if I sus out the offending driver that way but I'd be open to hearing if anyone has other solutions.
Attachments
2023_01_08__16_37_09__SDI_Tool_log.txt
Log from SDI Tool
(4.37 MiB) Downloaded 125 times
PierrePoutine

Re: Server Won't Boot After Interrupted Driver Install

Post by PierrePoutine »

Update: Just ended up doing a clean re-install.
flatrute

Re: Server Won't Boot After Interrupted Driver Install

Post by flatrute »

PierrePoutine wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:52 pm Update: Just ended up doing a clean re-install.
Funny that I also did a reinstallation of Windows Server vNext on my laptop workstation just to switch its language to Japanese pepeLaugh
It turns out leaving an Internet identity behind is hard MikeBruh

My username is read as "flatorte".

[deleted] posts index